Need help to reduce exhaust emissions

Guest Rhodes

Hi,

Could someone please advise me what to do, in order to get my truck an inspection sticker? Thanks in advance.

I drive a 94' SE Pathfinder and it failed it's emissions test (the laws just got more strict in my state this past July). Anyways, here's a description of what happened and some observations of mine (which may or may not be relevant).

First of all, the check engine light was on, at the time of inspection (It's gone on and off randomly since i bought the truck six years ago). It just happened to go on as i was pulling in to the station (great luck, huh?). Previous that day, i treated the gas some emmission fluid, drove it around for about 20mi, filled the tank again, and gave it a car wash....

anyways, here's the specks: CO gpm 136.98 <MA limit 60.>, HCgpm3.42 <limit 2.40> lol... i know, I failed misserably... i'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks guys,

Jon (Rhodes)

Guest pathfinder54

hey here r some things u might want to look into checking y your check engine light is on. o2 sensor, cat converter, tune up(plugs,wires,cap,rotor)change the oil it helps some. the is a chemical u can get at advance auto or autozone ect. it called sea foam its awsome s--t. these should help u get started. but wait and see what some of the other guys put up the may say somethin diff. good luck

Your high CO rating leads me to believe it's the 02 sensor. Mine was shot and I tried to get it tested anyways, and it failed miserably. As Mr. Pickels said, check the codes, and I'm almost positive that the code for the 02 sensor will come up.

Good luck

Just a recomendation on the O2 sensor. Spend the extra couple of bucks anf get the Nissan one, other wise the generic ones have an extra wire and you have to splice the others in, at least on a majority of the ones I've come across.

Hey guys:

Thanks for all the advice so far, and taking the time to reply. Without your help, I doubt I'd have made any progress correcting my emissions problem.

Here's an update on the status of the truck, as of today; a description of the work i've done, and some questions I have resulting from my work (most of which I'm baffled by).

1) Truck has not been re-inspected yet

2) (Assuming I managed to correctly preform the ECU test -- which i'm pretty sure i did) My check engine light, was a result of code 12(Air flow meter/Mass air flow sensor)

3) I checked for faultly hoses/lines, ect... :found that, there was no suction w/the air-intake tube. (guess that explains why i've never noticed a visibly dirtly air filter, during replacement at the scheduled maintenance time)

4) removed, some sort of air -resrictor/resonator thing(Nissan Part#16585 64G10)(it says on the side; - shaped like a J, w/an obviously manufactured indent in the plastic, making in very hard for air to pass through), that seemed logical to remove, in order to get air in to the air filter compartment)

Q:Is this ok to remove? and will it solve my emissions problem?

Lastly, some observations regarding it's removal:

a. there is now suction from the hardtype-rubber/plastic hose end, where the previously mentioned part was disconected, and more air is deffinately getting in to the engine now.

b. The Check Engine light has not come on since

c. I've gained about 25hp (although, that's,admittedly, an amature's estimation) let's just say, the Pathfinder has never driven this well, from what i remember.

d. there's still air pressure comming out of the exaust, but it's not smelly/visible smoke like before.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post... I'd be psyched to hear some insight about what i've done, and ultimately, if I *Fixed* the problem

-Rhodes,

ps: i am worried about water possibly getting into the air intake now... but, first things first: i need to pass the emissions test :)

thanks again