Built some cargo racks for the back of my pathy.

I'll get you some closeups photos, but i basically removed the laundry/grocery tie downs and used where they were bolted into, so there's one mount on the top, and two on the bottom. One drawback is that you lose the hooks near the hatch for the cargo cover, but i'm okay with that. Need be I can just hook it onto the cages.

Wow-very nice!

Idea: If you come acrossed a bike carrier rack at your local recycle/junk yard/goodwill etc, you might be able to snag parts for your rifle rack.

I'm thinking of the thick rubber strap deals like: Thule straps

Also if you all haven't sleept in the cargo area before, give a try before your trip. In my 1999.5 I had to sleep kinda angled when I camped out in it. I might think about popping out the narrower rear seat bottom so as to give me just enough length that I wouldn't have to sleep at an angle. With the seat bottom popped out I might even have enough room for my cot back there (hmmm got me thinking about that!).

2nd Also...I was just thinking about this earlier today...I have a new (free-to me) 6/9 can 12 Volt cooler. Will work excellent for camping. I'll need to figure out it's power consumption and wether or not to get a 2nd battery. Anyways point being-that the smaller units are not very pricey, ~$100 new. The one I have is made by the same folks who make the bigger offroad units that cost like 1000$, so I'm hoping the quality/reliability is similar.

Also if you all haven't sleept in the cargo area before, give a try before your trip. In my 1999.5 I had to sleep kinda angled when I camped out in it. I might think about popping out the narrower rear seat bottom so as to give me just enough length that I wouldn't have to sleep at an angle. With the seat bottom popped out I might even have enough room for my cot back there ...

:yeahthat: I'm 6'2" and felt very cramped in the back of mine. I ponied up for a small two man (or one man, two woman :sly: ) tent.

I actually do have a 12v cooler, and, after heading to the lake to enjoy the sun (78 degrees here yesterday) I realized that it should have been in my car. I may just run a standard fill-it-with-ice cooler, though, since I don't want to run down the battery.

As far as sleeping in a pathfinder, I usually put a ramp of pillows over the folded back seat bottom and almost on top of it. That, with a few sleeping pads on the floor, make for a pretty decent sleeping experience.

Somewhere I have a bike rack kicking around, and I hadn't considered that. Another idea was heavy duty velcro, as i've seen some company manufactured overhead rifle racks with that, but i'm not sold on the idea just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I always sleep in the back of my R50. Unbolt the rear seat bottoms (4 bolts), remove headrests, fold down rear seat backs, push front seats forward & tilt forward. A twin air mattress fits perfectly between the wheel wells & should be enough room for 6' 2". Nice & quite, bug screens over the windows, 12v fan in summer, iPad mounted on swing out arm for movies, warm in winter, can't beat it.

Edited by theexbrit

I always sleep in the back of my R50. Unbolt the rear seat bottoms (4 bolts), remove headrests, fold down rear seat backs, push front seats forward & tilt forward. A twin air mattress fits perfectly between the wheel wells & should be enough room for 6' 2". Nice & quite, bug screens over the windows, 12v fan in summer, iPad mounted on swing out arm for movies, warm in winter, can't beat it.

:goodpost: Thats exactly what I do as well! I'm 6'1", we use a double air mattress when my girlfriend and I go camping, it kinda sits over the wheel wells, but once you lie down on it, it just kind of forms around them. My girlfriend actually prefers sleeping in the truck way more than a tent.. It's easier to regulate the temperature if its cool outside, and you get to sleep off the ground.

268014_10150697458790145_677350144_19439548_870137_n.jpg

Edited by erathge
  • Like 1

I've slept in the Pathy before, and with the rear seats removed, it's a comfortable place to sleep on an air mattress. The downsides to using the Pathy as your tent are:

• have to store everything you're not using for sleeping outside (vulnerable to theft, wildlife, weather)

• not a very convenient place to change clothes

• awkward to get in and out. Since rear hatch doesn't have an interior release, you have to use rear passenger doors

• requires a level parking area