Let the modification begin

Bluewulf73

So, as I am a r-50 long-time owner and some-time lurker, and my lifestyle and needs have changed, I am starting to modify our 98 Pathfinder (Leah, as my wife calls her)

So, thoughts on what I want to do and why are:

I want to use this vehicle to explore a bit and camp with. My kids are now old enough to enjoy the outdoors, Leah is old enough and banged-up enough that a bit of trail driving won't take away much from its already great looks and most importantly, my wife wants to keep 'er.

So, I want to improve:

- stance - Set of AR39's had for a while now

- ground clearance - A/C Lift Kit (more affordable here, I think than OME) I definitely need to replace the springs, shocks and struts Leah's got saggy butt syndrome.

- self extricating device on it (manual or electrical winch) - for an electrical on I think I'll have to get a whole new bumper

- auxiliary ighting for those dark winter and/or extended drives - (original fogs are dead and I cannot take them out as they are rusted to their supports and the bolts are stripped grrr)

- Thule or Yakima cross bars to put on my CVT roof top tent

- Snorkel - eventually

So, today, I finally got the time to figure out if my AR39's will work with the A/C lift. Fortunately the will so, I test fitted one of the rims on the rear of the pathy. I found out that I will need either longer lugnuts or some kid of thinner walled socket in order to be able to tighten them onto the hub.

Here are some photos of the wheel on the car.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

I also found out that the AR 39's have a 3.75" Offset/backspacing as opposed to the OEM snowflakes at 6.25". Huge difference. No wonder the car rubbed even with 30X9.5's on the original wheels

AR39

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

OEM Wheel

IMG_0110.jpg

And I also found out that the bolt holding the bumpstop in place in the rear-right corner decided to flee, leving the bumpstop floating or rather boungind freely within the circumference of the spring, I cannot believe how short the rear spring is.

IMG_0111.jpg

Anyway, that is it for now. I will be replacing the front axles soon and when that happens, I'll get the bumpstop fixed and the wheels swapped over. I'll post photos once everything is done.

Edited by Bluewulf73

You think that rear spring is short?? LOL lemme go take a picture of mine!+

p1010935l.jpg

Ive never bottomed it out either. Those are 4x4parts lowerring springs + 500lb stereo lol

Edited by WOT
  • Like 1

For OME springs check North Shore off road, in North Van. They had a decent price when I picked mine up last year.

For a winch you don't have many choices the lack of frame means either a better bumper (bumper is not bad, shipping is terrible.) or a rear receiver mount into a good trailer hitch. I personally run without. The thing to remember if you are camping here in BC is most areas are accessible via FSR (Forestry Service Road) and most places you park are solid rock covered by moss. So getting stuck is more a case of poor route choice (been there) or taking route beyond your ability, baring cows and deer jumping out in front of you.

Snorkel, pretty much looks nice but if you are that deep you will likely have other issues I would put that way down the list.

Get your shocks and springs sorted out, keep your maintenance up, oil changes, tune ups, transmission service if you have an auto etc. And take a few drives to places you want to go.

If you have GPS that will take it, the Backwoods mapbook on SD is great, with the hard copy book as a backup. Just be aware that the campsites they show may not exist anymore.

I run a 98 with an OME lift and 16 inch rims and so far have gone everywhere I wanted to, with a few odd looks and questions as to how I got there.

I am out in the Fraser Valley, done East Harrison to Boston bar then Lytton up past Gold bridge and down Whistler a couple of days of no pavement. West Harrison to Pemberton. All over the Hope/ Coquihalla area and when it was open Squamish to Indian arm. Hope to do the spine and west coast of the island this year and a week long run up to Prince Rupert via FSR if I can figure out fuel points.

Edited by rgallant
  • Like 1

You think that rear spring is short?? LOL lemme go take a picture of mine!+

p1010935l.jpg

Ive never bottomed it out either. Those are 4x4parts lowerring springs + 500lb stereo lol

For OME springs check North Shore off road, in North Van. They had a decent price when I picked mine up last year.

For a winch you don't have many choices the lack of frame means either a better bumper (bumper is not bad, shipping is terrible.) or a rear receiver mount into a good trailer hitch. I personally run without. The thing to remember if you are camping here in BC is most areas are accessible via FSR (Forestry Service Road) and most places you park are solid rock covered by moss. So getting stuck is more a case of poor route choice (been there) or taking route beyond your ability, baring cows and deer jumping out in front of you.

Snorkel, pretty much looks nice but if you are that deep you will likely have other issues I would put that way down the list.

Get your shocks and springs sorted out, keep your maintenance up, oil changes, tune ups, transmission service if you have an auto etc. And take a few drives to places you want to go.

If you have GPS that will take it, the Backwoods mapbook on SD is great, with the hard copy book as a backup. Just be aware that the campsites they show may not exist anymore.

I run a 98 with an OME lift and 16 inch rims and so far have gone everywhere I wanted to, with a few odd looks and questions as to how I got there.

I am out in the Fraser Valley, done East Harrison to Boston bar then Lytton up past Gold bridge and down Whistler a couple of days of no pavement. West Harrison to Pemberton. All over the Hope/ Coquihalla area and when it was open Squamish to Indian arm. Hope to do the spine and west coast of the island this year and a week long run up to Prince Rupert via FSR if I can figure out fuel points.

WOT - Wow, that is MUCH shorter. For a while, before I even thought of 4wheelin', my thoughts were to lower the Pathy. Your ride looks nice!

rgallant - Thanks for the info. I will try NS Off Road. You are right, picking the right line, being thoughtfull and realistic of one's and the ride's abilities and knowing when one's been beaten are more important. I do have a tow strap and I think having a manual recovery winch should suffice. Having an electric winch makes things nicer though...

You are right on the snorkel bit and it is, pretty much, at the bottom of my list. It sounds like you;ve gotten around quite a bit. I wish I would be able to do so. Unfortunately, me wife is not one who enjoys the outdoors. Her idea of enjoyable camping is staying at a KOA. It would take lots for me to get away to any of the locations you've mentioned. Perhaps when the kids are older and she's tired of having me around 8).

I do have a Garmin and will try to find the Backwoods mapbook. This book is BC specific, is it? Nevermind, I'll do a search and see if I can get it into my GPS' SD card.

For now, here are a couple of photos of "leah" sporting her new shoes. There are also a couple of photos of it doing a bit of flexing ( I wanted to see where the tire would end up sicne these wheels stick out quite a bit further than stock.)

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

A couple depicting how far the new wheels stick out.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Edited by Bluewulf73

Looks like the pics aren't working.

Dechroming shouldn't be too hard. I've found that Simple Green works pretty well on plastic-chrome coatings, and a scratchy pad should help. Then just jam some newspaper around it, hose the badges flat black, call it good. :) I personally like chrome... when it's on metal.

plastidip is a very reliable way to paint badges and such black. And if you dont like it one week or one year down the road, just peel it back with no ill affects to the piece you sprayed over. And its cheap as balls

Looks like the pics aren't working.

Sorry, modified my album n forgot to change the link. Should be working now

Dechroming shouldn't be too hard. I've found that Simple Green works pretty well on plastic-chrome coatings, and a scratchy pad should help. Then just jam some newspaper around it, hose the badges flat black, call it good. :) I personally like chrome... when it's on metal.

Thanks, I'l give that a try. Chrome on the bmper cover's gotta go too.

Yup my wife prefers, RV style camping, but I try to get out at least once a month. It is nice to get away to the quiet. If you take a look you can do day trips that are a nice drive and get you out of the city for a few hours. Just stay far away from Stave Lake that is a gong show at best.