slippage?

Guest snowgirl

Guest snowgirl

:unsure: I am a proud (girl) owner of a black beauty, 95 pathy XE that has been nothing but reliable for the last 7 years I've had her. I truly love this truck and other than tires, oil changes, a new fuel tank (leaking at the seam), throttle position sensor and a new alternator - she's a champ! However.... lately while highway driving at around 28-2900 she seems to loose steam on me. The strangest thing is that the RPM's stay put. I had it checked out a local garage a few months ago, they did a "diagnostic" on it, and they wanted to replace the fuel pressure regulator - for upwards of $600!!! JIMINEE C! After some research online, finding out how small these little things are and how they RARELY EVER go bad, I declined their offer and took her home. I've been living with it for about 3 months and I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight. The garage told me that there was TOO much pressure against the regulator and that it was flooding the engine - I'm not sure I bought it but could use some help if anyone out there has any ideas.

Thanks. :shrug:

Hey there Snowgirl ! I'd ask you to describe 'losing steam' better. Does it kinda bog, shudder or blubber ? Does it get better at higher/lower RPM ? Does it change if you give it more/less gas at the same RPM ? It it on the flat, up hill, all the time ? I think you get the picture... The more info or corolations you can supply, the better we can help; there are some VERY knowledgable here. Fuel filter is a possibility... Is it auto or manual tranny ? When was the last tune up. Have you ever used and fuel injector cleaner ? We'll get to the bottom of this yet ;)

Bernard

Guest snowgirl

:type: Ok, here's the guts on it, thanks for the insight so far, I will definitley chase some of the possibilities down. The tranny is automatic, with just about 107K miles on it. Very limited off roading, and most of that was in the snow anyway, and was many moons ago, I do keep semi-aggressive rubber on it though... just incase.... ;) . The problem occurs while driving at normal highway speeds of about 70 mph in o/d. Flat roads, no grades or even hills, the truck feels like it's been put into 2nd it just starts losing steam, it bogs a bit, although slightly - like a normal one does when pull your foot off the gas doing 70. If I hit the accelerator, the RPM's pop up to about 3200 and the truck gets going again - it only happens around the 28-2900 rpm mark. Someone outside this post told me to check 'the bearings in my tranmission' --? insight? Last tune up was in early spring, new plugs, wires, fluids flushed, belts checked - the usual. I've never used an injector cleaner - but would give it go if you gave me some guidance on which one would be best.

I do have a question though regarding all of the "could be's". The garage guys told me it took them upwards of 5 hrs to find anything wrong with it. Would it be safe to assume that that they would have checked the more obvious things like filters, injectors, sensors and the like? Just wondering. I guess I am (possibily naively) assuming that those things would be the first things they'd look for. Just a thought.... /*

:type: Ok, here's the guts on it, thanks for the insight so far, I will definitley chase some of the possibilities down.  The tranny is automatic, with just about 107K miles on it.  Very limited off roading, and most of that was in the snow anyway, and was many moons ago, I do keep semi-aggressive rubber on it though... just incase....  ;) .  The problem occurs while driving at normal highway speeds of about 70 mph in o/d.  Flat roads, no grades or even hills, the truck feels like it's been put into 2nd it just starts losing steam, it bogs a bit, although slightly - like a normal one does when pull your foot off the gas doing 70.  If I hit the accelerator, the RPM's pop up to about 3200 and the truck gets going again - it only happens around the 28-2900 rpm mark.  Someone outside this post told me to check 'the bearings in my tranmission' --?  insight?  Last tune up was in early spring, new plugs, wires, fluids flushed, belts checked - the usual.  I've never used an injector cleaner - but would give it go if you gave me some guidance on which one would be best.

sound to me like the O2 sensor but run codes to check 4 sure. Any injector cleaner should do it..

I do have a question though regarding all of the "could be's".  The garage guys told me it took them upwards of 5 hrs to find anything wrong with it.  Would it be safe to assume that that they would have checked the more obvious things like filters, injectors, sensors and the like?  Just wondering.  I guess I am (possibily naively) assuming that those things would be the first things they'd look for.  Just a thought.... /*

I wouldn't assume anything anymore, obvious or not; especially if they are/were not that familiar with pathys...

I get the feeling your issue is sensor/ecu related. Which, what I don't know. As mzX says, run the ecu codes to see if it says anything. Then it may not hurt to reset it. (both these processes are detailed at the top of the garage forum). While dirty injectors may not be part of the issue, better performance and gas milage is always nice. I prefer Redline Injector Cleaner and use it in all my vehicles. Good luck, and keep us posted...

Bernard