A/C Died, I think I found a leak

RedRider3141

When I purchased my Pathfinder (1 year ago last month) the A/C was dead, no cold air whatsoever. I had it recharged just like I did my Explorer this past summer. This lasted 5+ years in my 'Splorer but didn't last 6 months in the Pathfinder. I did notice that the low pressure hose that leads from the Passenger side "Cooling Unit" behind the firewall accross the front of the engine to the compressor had some oil soaked dirt and grime. Far more than any other part of the engine which was steam cleaned when I bought it a year ago (I admit, I got it from a dealer). I wiped it clean a few weeks ago when I was working on my Serp Belt squeal (Still Fixed, thanks everyone). However it is dirty again, today.

I was wondering if this is a common place for the system to leak and it a garage mechanic such as myself could replace the seals/ part and have a shop recharge it again? I'm comfortable around tools, cars and bikes but I've never messed with A/C systems before.

My low pressure hose leaked at about 90,000 miles (I have 131k miles now). It was replaced by Nissan. I can dig up the cost of the service if you'd like.

See here for instructions on removing this hose. You can probably get it repaired at some A/C shop.

If you have any hose companies where you live they can either repair the line if it is metal or make you a new one, The metal line on my sentra had a hole in it from the clutch cable rubbing on it, they soldered in a new piece for about $30