How to hook up reverse lights for M/T

1994SEV6

When I removed my auto trans shifter, there were at least two wires connecting to it.

Correct me, but I assume one is for the shift lock, and one is for the reverse lights?

The 1st wire comes up from the front driver's side carpet. I assume this is the shift lock because the shift lock mechanism is right under the fusebox. Am I right?

This 2nd wire comes up from the carpet around the rear of my center console. Would this wire be for the reverse lights?

I need to finally get my reverse lights working. I know the bulbs work, wiring to the lights work, and the P.O. said the transmission lit up the reverse lights fine.

What did I miss doing when swapping from A/T to M/T?

If I'm right, and this wire is for the reverse lights, how the heck do I hook it up?

Edited by 1994SEV6

When I removed my auto trans shifter, there were at least two wires connecting to it.

Correct me, but I assume one is for the shift lock, and one is for the reverse lights?

The 1st wire comes up from the front driver's side carpet. I assume this is the shift lock because the shift lock mechanism is right under the fusebox. Am I right?

This 2nd wire comes up from the carpet around the rear of my center console. Would this wire be for the reverse lights?

I need to finally get my reverse lights working. I know the bulbs work, wiring to the lights work, and the P.O. said the transmission lit up the reverse lights fine.

What did I miss doing when swapping from A/T to M/T?

If I'm right, and this wire is for the reverse lights, how the heck do I hook it up?

The backup lights wire to a switch on the side of the shifter. When you put your manual in did you happen to notice them just below where the shifter bolts to the transmission case?

I ended up cobbling a wiring harness together from two that I had previously cut to shreds but I think if you take one out of a truck with a manual trans you can put in in yours with a minimum of work. Double check the manual for all your connections.

on the side of my trans I have about 5 plugs.

One towards the back for the speed sensor I assume, one for the 4x4 indicator, one for reverse, one for neutral, and....I think that's it?

I should mention that my speedometer works fine, but I don't have reverse lights or 4x4 indicator. Is this a simple unplugged wire, or something a little more complicated?

Well the automatic used the neutral safety switch (called the range sensor) for the reverse lights, neutral saftey lockout and to let it know it was in drive. You'll need to find the right wires at the connector and attach them to the right switches I'm guessing.

The 4x4 light should be a switch on the side of the transfer case somewhere.

all the plugs are properly hooked into a harness. This harness ends up as 4 wires and connects into my engine bay. This is the same setup was the auto trans. The only difference is the power wires for the auto trans and anything else.

The neutral safety switch controls reverse? I just soldered the wires together. I thought it just controlled power to the starter

For the automatic, it wasn't just a switch, it is a sensor thing that is bolted to the side of the tranny, and has a little lever that gets moved when you shift gears. I guess it is technically a switch, but it does it all in one part. I just changed it on my new pathy.

on the side of my trans I have about 5 plugs.

One towards the back for the speed sensor I assume, one for the 4x4 indicator, one for reverse, one for neutral, and....I think that's it?

I should mention that my speedometer works fine, but I don't have reverse lights or 4x4 indicator. Is this a simple unplugged wire, or something a little more complicated?

there are actually two switches for your 4x4. You just don't have the switches hooked up right. Spend some time with the manual to figure out which switch does what and where it is supposed to hookup. You might need to custom wire a harness to make them all work. did you just reuse the wiring harness that came with your automagic tranns? That harness doesn't have the all the plugs that you need. if you did you can cut the gear selection harness that was on the side of your transmission and wire up the reverse and neutral safety switches to the appropriate switch on the tranny.

Edited by ejin4499

did you just reuse the wiring harness that came with your automagic tranns? That harness doesn't have the all the plugs that you need.

oh.

Yeah, I did reuse the harness. Everything is hooked up. There are no unhooked plugs or wires (except those two in the cab). So, considering that, I imagine you mean the proper harness hooks up to all the switches and then it branches off into more than one plug at the end?

oh.

Yeah, I did reuse the harness. Everything is hooked up. There are no unhooked plugs or wires (except those two in the cab). So, considering that, I imagine you mean the proper harness hooks up to all the switches and then it branches off into more than one plug at the end?

I"m not sure what the proper harness looks like. I made a custom one, but the one you are using is not hooked up to the two switches at the top of your tranny. Check that you can find them. check out page 33 of MT in the service manuals. That should show you the ones I am talking about. On the automatic those are built into the gear selector that mounts to the side of the transmission.

let me try to go take a picture right now because I really need this fixed by tomorrow.

So, you just ran your own wire from the switch up to the engine bay?

not quite. Remember that giant loom of wires that attached to the side of the automatic tranny some of it was probably covered in white cloth. I wired the reverse lines from that loom to the reverse switch. I also ran the neutral lines from that same loom to the neutral safety switch that is right next to the reverse lamp switch. by using the existing wires I didn't have to mess with rewiring a jack. The only problem is I can't for the life of me remember how I figured out which wires went to what gear selection.

section AT page 71 shows you each pin out for each gear selection that should be all you need to wire those switches up. Let me know how it goes for you.

Edited by ejin4499

2012-02-17003041.jpg

These are the two connectors next to the shifter as far as I can tell. They match the symbols on MT-33 Pretty well with the clips. They each have two wires and are not connected at all. Let's number these plugs #1 and #2.

2012-02-17003139.jpg

2012-02-17003151.jpgThen I have this third plug. This does NOT plug into the wiring harness. I think there are actually two plugs here. In a picture I will post below, One plug from the trans goes and plugs into these plugs independently. It's trippy, I swear.

Let's number these #3 and #4 to be safe.

2012-02-17003222.jpgthe top plug in this picture plugs into the harness, which I will show below. The button plug is the one that goes over and plugs into those two other plugs in picture 3.

Plugs #5 and #6. #5=top, #6=bottom.

2012-02-17003230.jpg here is where #5 plugs into the main harness that goes to my engine bay

2012-02-17003321-Copy.jpg This is the single plug from the wirning harness. Notice FOUR wires only. Also notice my soldered neutral safety switch in the background.

So I end up with something like

......................................#2 #1

.............#3 #4....................V V

.....#5 ----\..V .......................V

....#6 ---------| \--(#5 goes here)|----------(to engine bay)---

Edited by 1994SEV6