Gear Ratio

918pathy

You asked and you shall recieve lol.

Nissan TX-10

Usage: 1986-2004 Nissan truck and Xterra, 1988-1995 Pathfinder.

Notes: Part-time, chain-driven two-speed transfer case, three-piece aluminum case, 30-spline input shaft (four-cylinder trucks use a 22-spline input shaft), 2.625:1 Low gear ratio, 32:1 crawl ratio. TX-10 mated to automatic transmission featured an oil sill around the input shaft to maintain lubrication. Differences in wiring harnesses and speedo sensors exist through years of use. Most 'cases are interchangeable but can only swap a T-case behind an auto transmission with another auto trans T-case due to oil sill.

Weaknesses: Low gear range is lacking compared to avg 2.72

Strengths: Versatility and parts availability

Read more: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0907_4wd_the_transfer_case/viewall.html#ixzz1mYbEEEDt

Nice thing is there are many kits that will allow you to have a doupler or install 3.7 gears in it.

Thats good to know, I guess it would probably equal out, the Jeep Liberty had 3.73 gears w/ 2.72:1 low range. The Pathfinder is 4.6? gears 2.62:1 low range, Would it come out to the same?

Edited by 918pathy

Thats good to know, I guess it would probably equal out, the Jeep Liberty had 3.73 gears w/ 2.72:1 low range. The Pathfinder is 4.6? gears 2.62:1 low range, Would it come out to the same?

I would have to see what there first gear ratio for the transmission was but for example if both have a 3.83 first gear ratio this is the crawl ratio you would get.

Jeep liberty - 2.72 low and 3.73 gears gives you 38.85 crawl ratio

Pathfinder - 2.62 low and 4.6 gears gives 46.40 crawl ration so a big difference.

Actually it's more like 2.02:1. The specs should be in the FSM.

Correct i'm showing 2.02 in the fsm not sure where the magazine got 2.62.

With the 2.02 transfercase ratio the crawl ratio for the pathfinder is 35.58 so still not bad mainly due to the gear ratio.

ALso i checked out the jeep liberty transmission ratio the jeep liberty came with a 42RLE transmission with 2.84 first gear ration giving it a still lower 29.585 crawl ratio.

So 35.58 for pathfinder 29.585 for liberty.

Also i found this info and all of it seems correct so go with it.

Nissan TX10A

Number of speeds: Two

High: 1:1

Low: 2.02:1

Case (or housing) material: Aluminum

Front output drive type: Gear (driver side drop)

Availability or aftermarket parts and support: Medium - Calmini 3.92:1 gearset, Automotive Customizers 3.6:1 gearset

Input spline count: 24 (I-4) or 30 (V-6)

Rear yoke: Slip

Planetary gear: No

Flange or slip yoke eliminator available: Yes

Output shaft spline count: 30

Shifter type: Mechanical

Length: ~18 inches (mount face-to-seal)

Commonly found in: Mid '86-to-'04 Truck, pre '96 Pathfinders, Xterras, Frontiers

Read more: http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1005or_common_transfer_cases_guide_high_low_ranges/viewall.html#ixzz1mYfvCWid

The 2.6:1 you got comes from the atx14x Transfer case that you see on some 2001-2004. This is the newer transfer case that uses planetary gears and is electrically activated from a dial in the dash.

S.

Thats makes since they show up to 2004 on xterra in the diagram so they just probaly went with that number and didn't notice it change prior to 2001.

Kind of makes me want to throw the 3.6 or 3.9 gears in my case that would give me one heck oh a crawl ratio.\

With 3.9 gear in my case i would have a crawl of 68.7 so very nice

Edited by wd21overland

Also if anyone ever cared to know the formula to figure out your crawl ratio.

Its (Transmission First Gear Ratio) X (Transfercase Low Range Gear Ratio)

Take that number and times it by your rear end ratio to get your crawl ratio.

Example -

1st gear ratio (3.82) X Transfercase Low Ratio (3.91) = 14.93

The take that number (14.93) X Diff Gear Ratio (4.6) = (Crawl Ratio) 68.70

Edited by wd21overland

Also if anyone ever cared to know the formula to figure out your crawl ratio.

Its (Transmission First Gear Ratio) X (Transfercase Low Range Gear Ratio)

Take that number and times it by your rear end ratio to get your crawl ratio.

Example -

1st gear ratio (3.82) X Transfercase Low Ratio (3.91) = 14.93

The take that number (14.93) X Diff Gear Ratio (4.6) = (Crawl Ratio) 68.70

May I add that if you have an automatic, you pretty much multiply your result by 2 to take into account the torque converter...

What is the first gear ratio for a auto? The crawl ratio is the lower the number (I.E. 10) better then say 50 or do i have it backwards, and for a auto i would multipliy x 2

Edited by 918pathy

they all multiply, so there is no 1st or last number.... it does not matter... the result is the same :-)

edit **: Just re-read your reply and I realized I did not understood properly..

the first gear ratio will be found in your fsm.., and for the ratio, the higher the number the better your truck can crawl... and yes for an auto you multiply by 2

Edited by fleurys

Very informative guy's. Thanks. Cal mini no longer does 3.9 gear set or slip yoke eliminator . I have not been able to find another source. I have T-case apart now, to put automotive customizers gears in. I have tried to make SYE,but was not happy with results. I am getting tired of having pathy down , so probably going to put it back together and lenghthen stock driveline .

Very informative guy's. Thanks. Cal mini no longer does 3.9 gear set or slip yoke eliminator . I have not been able to find another source. I have T-case apart now, to put automotive customizers gears in. I have tried to make SYE,but was not happy with results. I am getting tired of having pathy down , so probably going to put it back together and lenghthen stock driveline .

Hmm...Calmini still has the 3.9 gear set listed on their website. If I had to do it again i would have gone with their set because of easier install. Automotive customizers set is tricky tricky to get in since it reuses the original diameter bearing. Also, its larger gear requires more grind on the t-case oil channel if I remember correctly.

Anyway one comment, if possible have a second set of hands/eyes available at the final assembly stage with the AC gears. Getting everything lined up was a bear (at least for me).

J

Thank s. Cal mini still list gears but they have not had any for last 2 years. Indefinate back order is what I was told. Same with SYE.

This was still the case as of 2 weeks ago. I just received a set from AC. I like the idea of the Dana 300 doubler from Rugged rocks. The way I see it you could run the AC gears for anything other than heavy rock crawling, then add the doubler later if you SAS and want to get a little more hard core.

This was still the case as of 2 weeks ago. I just received a set from AC. I like the idea of the Dana 300 doubler from Rugged rocks. The way I see it you could run the AC gears for anything other than heavy rock crawling, then add the doubler later if you SAS and want to get a little more hard core.

I like the doubler also,but I figure I will not have any problems in big rocks with AC gears. I ran a 4.1 in my old 4runner for many years with an under powered 4 banger and made it through all the big rock's in California (ie rubicon,fordyce,dusy ershim and the hammers.)

I am waiting for the little bit of snow we have to melt so i can get out on trail and try the gears out. Let me know how yours works out.