Have More Questions about JGC Springs

Ok first off I searched for 2 days for the answer with no luck.

Does anyone have a side by side pic of a JGC spring not cut next to a stock Pathy rear spring (90-95)?

Does anyone know the spring rate on the JGC springs?

Has anyone attempted to cut these springs even more to give a closer to stock high lift with more load holding ability (i.e. heavy armor, gear, and towing)?

Here is my issue. With the addition of my rock slider, bumpers, roof rack, and full size steal wheel spare my stock springs are sagging to much. I'm hitting the bump stops and it's causing a rough ride. I know my springs are 21 years old so just replacing them with new ones should help a little. I know about the EMU medium duty springs. I hear great things about them but after shipping I'll be sitting at around $200 and still not sure if these will suit my needs. That's a pretty big gamble. I'd rather gamble with some $20 to $40 junk yard Jeep springs than $200. I do not want a 3 inch lift. I can deal with a 1.5 inch lift after settling but I worry that. I worry that the EMU springs will put me back to stock specs due to the additional weight and then sag once I hookup my trailer. I've thought about the AC 1.5" lift springs but they won't tell me the spring rate. They are worried I'll take that number and get springs from someone else.

What do you guys think? What would you do if you were in my shoes? If the JGC springs are similar in spring rate as the EMU springs after being cut to the height I'd need then I'd like to try that option. That's a nice chunk of money I'd be saving doing that. All the pics I've seen of the EMU springs after the initial install look great. However I saw some pics of one of those pathys loaded in the back and it saw sagging. That's without a trailer or armor.

By the way what is the year range of JGC that I should be looking for. I know I need one with a V8 but not sure if ALL V8 JGC regardless of year have the same front springs or not.

Thank you for the help. I hope I didn't ask to many questions that have been answered before.

OK i don't have a picture but none is needed.

The factory pathfinder springs have a bar diameter of .554 and a uncompressed length of 15.3 inches.

The Jeep 93 to 98 jeep ZJ with v-8 has a bar diameter of .578 and a uncompressed length of 17.2 inches.

There was a 98 jeep zj that can be had with the 5.9 v-8 instead of the 5.2 and its front springs are .603 bar diameter and 17.8 inches long.

I used the 5.9 v-8 springs and even with my 33 in spare and load up for camping i got right at 4" of lift.

If you want more lift DON'T cut the pig tail there is no need just heat up the part that bends end and straightn it back to the normal way the coil is winding works great.

I bought brand new Moog springs for a 98 5.9l jeep grand cherokee with the .603 bar diamter for only $81 for the pair and they have worked great for everything i have needed even with the trailer hooked up and towing a car no issues when loaded for normal trail use i get 4" of rear lift.

Also the rear spring rate has caused no problem in ride but i do have full Bilstein shocks all around which make any terrain comfy.

If i were that what i would do the price is hard to beat just make sure to not get the springs from the 4.0 I-6 jeep there are diameter is .531 and won't work at all.

Edited by wd21overland

I think you may have missed the part about not wanting to lift it 3". My pathy is stock height right now and I don't want to go any higher than maybe 1.5" if that. I'm just trying to get a stiffer spring that will keep it from sagging with out dropping $200 on some springs that might not do what I want. I just want to know if I cut the JGC springs that much will I get what I'm looking for? I know when you cut springs they spring rate changes. That's why I'm asking.

Sorry, yes, I did miss that part, I have to rush sometimes at work. Still, with those links you should be able to extrapolate the information you need. Sorry, I can't recall any one place that will have exactly the information you want. :shrug:

B

Ok so i got bored since i have a few jeep gc springs laying around i went outside to my parts pathfinder and installed some spare gc springs in the rear ( 2 minute process since it doesnt have a track bar or shocks on it.

Before measurment was was 33.2 with worn 31's afterwards 36.5 so alittle above 3" through in about 200lbs of random junk to simulate having a spare on the back and rando gear went to 36.1. so alittle under 3 inches.

Removed the springs and cut 1 coil off right down from where i cut the pig tail off so i can make sure i took the same amount off on both springs.

reinstalled and now it sits 34.9 its 1.7 inches now in the rear about the closet you going to get to 1.5 lol.

SO to wrap up i took junkyard jeep gc coil that i already cut the pig tail off and then just cut 1 coil down.

about the best i could give you.

This will give a little bit stiffer ride though as you can see from any ricer with cut coils.

What coil thickness is the spring you used for this experiment and what is it's length?

B

The springs were from the front of a 1995 jeep grand cherokee v-8.

Specs

Spring size: Inside Diameter 4.04'

Bar Diameter .578',

Resting Height 17.2" (precut pigtail)

Load rating: 503 lbs

After pigtail cut 16.9 inches

After 1 coil cut 15.6 inches

Now unless you have a decent cutting tool and picked up the springs cheap i would probaly just pick up the medium duty ome springs form here http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

$150 for 1.75" medium duty springs shipped (not the cheapest but up to you)

Also if you really just want load capacity you can get Air Lift in coil bags.

Lets you air up for bigger loads without harsh ride just another option.

Edited by wd21overland

This will give a little bit stiffer ride though as you can see from any ricer with cut coils.

B

yes and no. Most of the time when you see lowered hondas that are bouncing around, is because they cut too much spring and are now sitting on the bump stops.

I ended up with some JGC springs. Not sure how thick the wire is do to no markings but from a visual perspective they were the thickest out of the bunch they had at the JY. I'll create a new post here tonight with pics showing what I did and how much I cut. I ended out with 2" of lift over that it was with my stock 21 year old springs and the extra weight of the armor. I'm overall happy with it. However it made me realize that I need stiffer torsion bars now. Anyway like I said I'll write something up here in a few with pics and what not once I take a bump and change my cloths so I can climb under the truck (I just got home from a day out with the family).

I ended up with some JGC springs. Not sure how thick the wire is do to no markings but from a visual perspective they were the thickest out of the bunch they had at the JY. I'll create a new post here tonight with pics showing what I did and how much I cut. I ended out with 2" of lift over that it was with my stock 21 year old springs and the extra weight of the armor. I'm overall happy with it. However it made me realize that I need stiffer torsion bars now. Anyway like I said I'll write something up here in a few with pics and what not once I take a bump and change my cloths so I can climb under the truck (I just got home from a day out with the family).

Yeah when i cut it for the example it was about 1.7" so that's about right

As for the torsion bars i haven't heard anything bad about sway away.

• 3 years later...

sorry for my message cause of old topic but i want to ask about oem factory wd21 coil springs bar diameter ;

factory diameter = .500 or .554 ????

which one is correct????

on that links says wd21 coil springs bar thickness is 12,75 mm = .500

https://www.rexbo.eu/trw/coil-spring-jcs496?c=100113&at=6646

https://www.rexbo.eu/metzger/coil-spring-2241911?c=100113&at=32417

trw is a very big company and they makes usually oem parts for car factories..

(.554 =14.1 mm) 2mm is too much for spring rate..

and do you knows Calmini lift springs bar diameter?

thanks