4wd grinding?

dw93

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as what I'm having and may have a solution for me. I just changed the front axle assembly on my passenger side and after doing so it won't engage into 4wd it slips in the shifter from 2h to 4h easily but once i slip it into Neutral in-between 4h and 4L it will not come out of that it will only grind and not slip in to position. what could have changed?

thanks

If you are getting a grinding sound something is still in motion. 4H > N > 4L should be done from a complete stop. Use N with automatics to ensure there is no load present on the t-case gears.

Yep make sure your at a complete stop when shifting into 4HI or 4LO.

The owners manual says you can shift into 4HI when speeds are below 3 mph but i have tried before and its a 50% chance it will grind so i just come to a stop.

Also mine doesn't do this but my friends does when going from 4hi to 4lo he has to move the shift quickly if he pauses for a second while doing going between the 2 it will just grind.

Now when he goes to 4lo he just shuts the truck off shifts into 4lo and continues on so there no grinding.

Edited by wd21overland

Thanks for the reply. So I went back out this morning to give a try what you guys said. And it still did the same thing. I started it up and put the transmission in neutral then put it in neutral on the floor shift and made sure I had my foot firmly on the brake and it still will grind trying to change it into 4h or 4L. Could it have anything to do with the new front axle assembly? Or even the timing belt (which I doubt but could be wrong) as I did that last weekend?

you can shift in to 4HI from 2HI at speeds around 35mph.. I've done it before at 40-50. If your auto hubs are already locked, you can slip in and out of 4HI with ease at most speeds. the "jarring" you get when shifting between the HI gears while moving are the auto hubs engaging.

As for 4LO, you need to be in Neutral and stopped. You need to push down on the shifter and pull back hard in one smooth motion, do NOT pause when it's in neutral, I usually get a slight grinding as the gears mesh together, but nothing ridiculous like trying to shift a manual without using the clutch.

Thanks for the replies it was just the simple fact i wasn't moving it fast enough from 4hi to 4lo and was pausing a second to much so thats why it was grinding just like you guys said just couldn't get through my head cause i thought i was doing it the same as how i was before. oh how dumb i feel now haha. Thanks for the help!

Hey, least you figured out how to get it in to four low!! When I first got my truck, I could not figure out for the life of me that I had to push down on the shifter. So I thought I was moving it from neutral to 4LO. Oh... those were the days! :aok: