Headgasket

Leo94

Hey, decided to put this in Off-Topic cause its not a pathy. Ok so im doing a head gasket on a 2000 Daewoo nubira X20sed engine (175,000 kilometers) apparantly its GM? anyways here are some pictures without the head just woundering how would i remove the gunk through the oil and coolant passages and in cylinder 3 the cylinder wall has a very slight rust spot.

Cylinder 1 is on the left
th_04022012224.jpg th_04022012225.jpg
Coolant Passage (Was ran on water last)
th_04022012227.jpg
Oil Passage
th_04022012228.jpg
Cylinder 1
th_04022012230.jpg
Cylinder 2
th_04022012231.jpg
Cylinder 3
th_04022012232.jpg
Cylinder 4
th_04022012233.jpg

I had a quick look at the gasket and saw that the gasket blew at cylinder 4. I cleaned the engine before i took the pictures but before the whole top of the piston in cylinder 4 was filled with that mixture of oil and coolant. But yeh if anyone has any tips on cleaning the passages and also removing that rust from the cylinder wall that would be great. The engine does turn over and im going to thoroughly clean the head and steam clean it if i can get my steam cleaner running. Cheers

Edited by Leo94

If you really want to get it clean, you'll have to get the block hot tanked. I'd just clean up the surface of the block, get the head checked and probably decked, throw a gasket on there, bolt the head back on and call it good.

After it's all back together, use a better oil. I'm going to guess all that sludge is from using a poor quality oil, and a lack of maintenance.

:yeahthat:

To get the gunk out, you will need to use detergents. A quart of ATF maybe? Seafoam? You can do that after you are done with the head gasket job too.

To get it all cleaned out, you will have to take it apart entirely.

Personally I would just clean up the old residue and throw a new gasket on there then call it a day.

Don't forget to inspect the head for damage.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

If you really want to get it clean, you'll have to get the block hot tanked. I'd just clean up the surface of the block, get the head checked and probably decked, throw a gasket on there, bolt the head back on and call it good.

After it's all back together, use a better oil. I'm going to guess all that sludge is from using a poor quality oil, and a lack of maintenance.

If I had the time I would get the blocked removed and hot tanked but unfortunately that's not an option. Yeh I plan on cleaning the surface till its just about bare metal without actually harming the metal so like just removing the old gasket and stuff on top of it. That sludge should be from the headgasket failure where the oil and coolant mixes. In some places of the head it was a creamish yellowish colour which is caused from just that.

:yeahthat:

To get the gunk out, you will need to use detergents. A quart of ATF maybe? Seafoam? You can do that after you are done with the head gasket job too.

To get it all cleaned out, you will have to take it apart entirely.

Personally I would just clean up the old residue and throw a new gasket on there then call it a day.

Don't forget to inspect the head for damage.

We dont have seamfoam in Australia unfortunately and ive had a hard time trying to find it online maybe some oil flush? Im planning on steam cleaning the head after that I can see properly for cracks and any warping

The previous says it. Just make sure to change filter/flush if you run detergents in the block. Looks like a coolant flush in in order too, same principle.

B

Yeh definatley even if i didn't run any detergents because now the oil is thick and has all sorts of junk in it that would be harmful to the engine and the water needs to be replaced with coolant too.

So yeah ill flush the oil and water so i can eventually run it on coolant again and after the head has been cleaned ill oil up the camshaft so it doesn't start out dry. With that slight rust should i just leave it be. Once again many thanks for all the help guys. :aok: