Question on Speed Sensor - I just replaced mine :)

elcid

Hi everyone.

I just replaced the speed sensor on my 1995 pathfinder but I noticed during the install that some pretty dark brown liquid came out. I read in this forum that its suppose to be tranny fluid but it sure looked brown and very liquid like. Not thick or anything but thin liquid.

Do I need to refill the hole with a replacement fluid? If so, what goes in there?

My speedo works again! I am just concerned on the fluid which came out of the hole during the removal of the old defective sensor.

thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.

The speed sensor , unless I am mistaken, is located on the rear housing of my auto tranny - 1995 pathfinder. I did change the fluids of my tranny yesterday before the removal of the speed sensor.

i will check again, but I am sure I am looking at the rear end of the tranny ( I am a noob mechanic , so couldbe wrong, lol )

The transmission itself isn't as big as you might think. If you took the transmission and transfer case apart, you would see that the transmission stops right after where the t-case lever is. The transfer case isn't only the thing on the side. The transfer case also includes the tail extension. The speed sensor is in the tail extension because that is the best place to measure the speed of the driveshaft.

The M/T is a bit different, so I was remembering incorrectly before I edited my post. Here is a picture of an A/T for reference. It looks completely different out of the truck. The pan is off in this picture.

2011-11-30204028-2.jpg

I went back and labeled the drain plug for you since it sounds like you need to do a t-case service. The fill plug is on the backside. Getting the fill plug out is a little bit awkward since you have to use a few extensions and go above the torsion bar cross member.

Edited by 1994SEV6

The transmission itself isn't as big as you might think. If you took the transmission and transfer case apart, you would see that the transmission stops right after where the t-case lever is. The transfer case isn't only the thing on the side. The transfer case also includes the tail extension. The speed sensor is in the tail extension because that is the best place to measure the speed of the driveshaft.

The M/T is a bit different, so I was remembering incorrectly before I edited my post. Here is a picture of an A/T for reference. It looks completely different out of the truck. The pan is off in this picture.

2011-11-30204028-1.jpg

Hi,

I will go outside and take a pic of where the fluid comes out. I am being a bit dense / and confused I guess. I jsut want to make sure I understand correctly in order to change the fluid. I will be posting the pic in about 10 minutes

Back!

man, is it ever raining out there in BC right now, lol

here is the pic. The roung thing ( looks like a metal cup, left of pic is toward the rear end of the pathy )and thats the sensor I replaced, where the dirty fluid came out of.

thanks for your help! its much appreciated!

f7bfd628.jpg

Edited by elcid

I guess that would be fluid from your t-case.

thanks!

I guess I need to replace my T case fluids next!. from the reading I am done ( still researching the forums ) T case can use ATF just like the tranny. The front/rear axle uses gear fluids. I am checking a few links now, reading up.

thanks again for your help