ECU Codes

Puckstoper9

I pulled the codes from my ECU today.

34 Knock Sensor.

35 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor.

The truck seams to run fine. The engine light will come on when cruising around 2000 rpm sometimes. The thing is it is extremely intermittent.

Should I replace the sensors?

Where are they located?

I would venture that you MIGHT have an exhaust leak. Don't go replacing any sensors just yet. The knock sensor is easily set off by wondering vibrations. It is very sensitive. It's probably working just fine, especially if there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your truck. I've never heard of an "exhaust gas temperature sensor". That might be another term for O2 sensor? If it is, indeed, an O2 sensor, then your leaking exhaust is probably giving it false readings.

The reason I mentioned leaky exhaust is because you might have some broken manifold studs. The tapping of the studs (most evident around 2000rpm) could quite possibly affect the knock sensor. These broken manifold studs would also affect the O2 sensor.

Loose/broken exhaust mounts can cause the knock sensor code..my exhaust used to bang against the frame all the time..fixed it..and tada! no knock sensor code.

As for your Code 35. It sounds like its complaining about the EGR (not sure, but possible.)

Try checking all hoses running to and from the EGR. Mine looked GREAT until i felt the unvisible side of them and noticed it was disintegrated from behind..replace all those hoses and reset the ecu and let us know how it goes! :)

The Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor is a California model thing, just another BS emissions part they had to throw on there. It realistically does nothing. Reset the ECU and see if the codes come back.