radiator

rustygoss79

I am heading to local pickapart this morning to pull on so that should help familiarize me to getting mine out bit are there anything I should know in advance. Also if some one could enlighten me on the proper way to refill and amount of fluid needed that would be great. I am capable enough and usually dive head first into my repairs. I would buy a Haynes and plan on it but being just after Christmas I had to borrow the funds for the radiator and fluids . I just want to be sure there is nothing out of the ordinary I need to know about. Thanks guys.

I am heading to local pickapart this morning to pull on so that should help familiarize me to getting mine out bit are there anything I should know in advance. Also if some one could enlighten me on the proper way to refill and amount of fluid needed that would be great. I am capable enough and usually dive head first into my repairs. I would buy a Haynes and plan on it but being just after Christmas I had to borrow the funds for the radiator and fluids . I just want to be sure there is nothing out of the ordinary I need to know about. Thanks guys.

First of all, depending on price they are charging at your junkyard, you might be suprised how much a new one is. I think I paid like 90 bucks for a new one. Its pretty simple to pull one. Its obviously most likely drained, so just take off the upper and lower hose first. Second, the fan shroud is two pieces. The bottom clips into the main part. For me it was easier to just upclip the bottom and take it out underneath, then there are 4 bolts/screws holding the main part on. Take those off, then slide the shroud out the top. From there the radiator just sits in little mounts on the bottom so just pull up. I would be hesitant to get a radiator junkyard, most of them are probably OEM and not far behind going out like your current radiator.

Thanks I went and found a clean one. It was almost too simple. It was all metal unlike the one in mine in which the plastic upper was cracked. I could have gotten a New one but it would of taken a few days and I need it fixed today. Plus I do like going to dig around at the pickapart yard anyway. I appreciate the reply. Its good to have this forum to come too.

when refilling, don't forget to bleed or 'burp' all the air out. A simple way is to park with the front of the truck facing uphill or on jack stands (no need for complete vertical, just so the rad. cap is undoubtedly the highest point of the cooling system) Fill the rad then run the truck watching the fluid level. This will effectivly 'force' any air to the 'top' which will be the highest point (get the making the cap the high point now? :D ) top off as neccesary install cap and fill the overflow to the proper level :aok:

Dude the easiest way is to crack the coolant bleeder bolt on the intake manifold...fill fluid in the rad until fluid comes out the bleeder hole....put bolt back in... perfectly bled coolant system every time. that is why it's there after all. :D

I've personally got no faith in those bleeders and do the burp system on many different vechiles (with or without bleeders). Air pockets get trapped, air rises, letting it idle while parked is my kinda easy :aok:

I bought new radiator on ebay for 47 usd, shipping was free to Miami, and then I paid just for few pounds shipping to Dominican Republic, it is a light device.

After, I (mechanic did it) changed some hoses, and added the liquid.

As I had little of green and little of red, I mixed together, that was wrong, add only one type of the liquid.

So you just buy two gallons and add the liquid, until is full.

Do not add liquid on the department on the left side.

Do not add normal water, well on the gas station guy added the water in that department until the end, and while I got home, the tap on the bottom of radiator was broken, and all liquid went out.

Managed to drive one kilometer without the liquid.

On ebay you can get also the fan, and radiator support, mounting tie, blade for fan, hoses, and radiator cap.

I bought this cap

11140215.jpg

and here is the search for Nissan pathfinder 1995 radiator.