The sounds of leaves rustling when blower is on

1994SEV6

In the summer I used my A/C very rarely for fear of burying my MPG even lower than 17. I did use it once or twice though. Both times I noticed a flickering noise kind of. My friend had an S10 who had the same noise and then his A/C compressor broke. I wasn't really convince that I had the same problem but I decided to not use the A/C just in case. Just another problem I don't want to deal with.

Anyway, it's starting to get a bit colder (not really :thumbsdown: ) so I've been using my defroster or heat every now and again. Sometimes I notice the same flickering noise. It's not instant though. Sometimes the noise will come after 5 mins of the blower being on, sometimes I can have the heater on for an hour and I won't hear anything.

I cleaned out the blower resistor area. There wasn't much there, but I got most of it.

Is this a common problem? Maybe there are some stubborn leaves that haven't settled all the way in my resistor area?

I just want to get it taken care of in case something is close to breaking. I'm going to be using my heat all winter and since the heat on Nissans is so amazing, I would like to take advantage of it.

Take the blower motor out and check in there and make sure the squirrel cage on the motor isn't loose or something.

ouuuu!!! That's a good idea. I'm not exactly sure where the blower motor is. The thing you take out to clean the leaves are the resistors, right? So the big black thing that the resistors are bolted too is the blower motor?

The blower motor will look something this (all these pictures are from an R50 so expect some differences):

th_DSC09287.jpg

Clean the blower motor and its housing while you have it removed too...

Blower motor housing, before:

th_DSC09251.jpg

Dirt:

th_DSC09274.jpg th_DSC09275.jpg

Clean housing:

th_DSC09286.jpg

Blower motor cage:

th_DSC09249.jpg

Since there are so many fins, cleaning each and every one thoroughly would be an extremely time consuming process. I decided to run the fins under the sink, spinning the cage with my fingers quickly to remove most of the crud. I then used Q-tips to get most of the remaining crud off:

th_DSC09276.jpg th_DSC09277.jpg th_DSC09281.jpg

I also detached the small tube, rinsed it under water and ran a paper towel through it to grab more crud and dry it:

th_DSC09282.jpg

• Like 1

ouuuu!!! That's a good idea. I'm not exactly sure where the blower motor is. The thing you take out to clean the leaves are the resistors, right? So the big black thing that the resistors are bolted too is the blower motor?

:headwall:

fskc dude, really?!

http://npora.ipbhost...topic=7466&st=0

Pinned in the garage section.

Edited by Kingman

The blower motor will look something this (all these pictures are from an R50 so expect some differences):

th_DSC09287.jpg

Clean the blower motor and its housing while you have it removed too...

Blower motor housing, before:

th_DSC09251.jpg

Dirt:

th_DSC09274.jpg th_DSC09275.jpg

Clean housing:

th_DSC09286.jpg

Blower motor cage:

th_DSC09249.jpg

Since there are so many fins, cleaning each and every one thoroughly would be an extremely time consuming process. I decided to run the fins under the sink, spinning the cage with my fingers quickly to remove most of the crud. I then used Q-tips to get most of the remaining crud off:

th_DSC09276.jpg th_DSC09277.jpg th_DSC09281.jpg

I also detached the small tube, rinsed it under water and ran a paper towel through it to grab more crud and dry it:

th_DSC09282.jpg

Thanks. I had this idea that the blower motor was somewhere much more inconvenient to get to. I thought the resisters were right there and the blower was somewhere else.