What's the truth about GL-4 M/T oil?

1994SEV6

It's not really the price I'm concerned about. If it costs $10, then it cost $10, but if $100 is what it takes to do it properly, then so be it.

I only mentioned that the gallon of Napa fluid is $36 for reference. $36 for a gallon (4quarts) is a little on the low side, isn't it?

I want to get something of decent quality so I don't uselessly waste $36.

I don't want to buy 5qt. of the Napa fluid for $50, then find out that my trans won't shift for @!*% and then I have to put out another $100 for Redline.

Most reviews for that I have seen for Redline MT-90 have been positive and you can get 5 qts for about $80. If $ is no issue and you want an install and forget, go with the MT=90. Make sure your breather hoses are hooked up and try not to park in deep water though...

Isn't the transmission's fluid capacity 5.1L according to the TSB, which equals 5.389 quarts? So you'd need to buy 6 quarts of your desired fluid. I'm assuming you have a 4WD, I don't remember exactly what you have.

Ask for the MSDS for the NAPA fluid so I can find out who makes it, or post the part number or link to the fluid so I can do some research.

I'm willing to bet 5 qts is good enough, especially since not everything will be drained out anyway. Just my thought...

B

Most reviews for that I have seen for Redline MT-90 have been positive and you can get 5 qts for about $80. If $ is no issue and you want an install and forget, go with the MT=90. Make sure your breather hoses are hooked up and try not to park in deep water though...

I'm willing to bet 5 qts is good enough, especially since not everything will be drained out anyway. Just my thought...

B

yeah. I'll probably just end up doing the redline. I was worried about getting it full price of amazon and the shipping time, but at this point, it's whatever

Any chance you can find the oil listed online @ napaonline.com?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NO_75210_0006411584

Got it. It's called Napa Premium Performance Gear Oil 80w-85w-90. It's not synthetic. Is that important? It also doesn't state if it's gl-4 or gl-5, but I got it from a site that Sewebster provided and it said that it was gl-4. It's made by Ashland which is Valvoline I think.

Edited by 1994SEV6

I also believe the Valvoline gear oil I use says safe for use in gl4 transmissions...its been a while since I looked at the bottle...I'm not gonna say to use gl4 or gl5 but I do know a lot of people have damaged their transmissions by them being serviced and under filled causing heat in the gears as well as insufficient lubrication causing premature syncro wear...from what I've read on the additives in the gl5 there r different levels of sulfers that can corrode yellow metals...I haven't seen our syncros first hand but id guess they r steel with either brass alloy coatings,bushings but it can't be solid brass or other yellow metals as they don't have any shear strength and I def live the philosphy of if u can't find it grind it and have yet to break anything inside...

I'm very hard on everything I drive and lots of time I don't use the clutch just rpm match...so yea I think gl5 can cause issues but I don't think its in a matter of a year or 2 but 10-20 but with regular changes with the proper fluid capacity I don't believe there will be significant wear other than typical wear...that's from my experience and from what ive read about

But like I said I'm not saying to use either or

Apparently the fluid you linked isn't GL-4, 1994SEV6. Read here.

I'd definitely go for the Redline MT90 now.

Wow thanks! You even made a thread just for me. I saw that Sta-lube stuff, but that costs $15 per GALLON. That's scary cheap.

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL24239&S=C

Edited by 1994SEV6

I wouldn't run that stuff, 85W is out of the specification range in the FSM, and as you said it is scary cheap and there isn't much detailed info about it.

It's a shame that none of the boutique fluids are easily available locally, that would make things a lot easier.

Merry Christmas, by the way! :)

wait a minute..$100 of redline in your trans? Amazon sells redline for $13 ea. 5quarts x 13= $65?

Well, I bought it at a shop in Canada. I forget what I paid exactly. Now that I think about it some more, it might have been on sale and I paid less than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7oWHucTCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13d4Y0qd4mY

Sorry about the camera work.

I know you can't read the font on the Pennzoil bottle, so I read it, but I was trying to read it through the camera which was stupid. I had to keep moving the camera in order to read the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13d4Y0qd4mY

Sorry about the camera work.

I know you can't read the font on the Pennzoil bottle, so I read it, but I was trying to read it through the camera which was stupid. I had to keep moving the camera in order to read the words.

I just ordered 5 quarts of amsoil from their web site. It was like $66 to my door.

The pennzoil looks promising if it states it won't affect yellow metals. Call the company and ask about older nissan transmissions specifically. I never read the whole bottle, if it said GL5 I put it down.

Nissan has always been picky about their oils. With my 06 titan I’ve been warned to only use matic J fluid because of the same yellow metals in an auto trans. Several guys on clubtitan swore amsoil ATF was compatible. Then while rebuilding their trans 5k miles later they claimed the nissan oil left sludge that the amsoil cleaned out and plugged things up burning the trans. I stuck with matic J, which isn't cheap, and mine is still going. The first thing nissan does for a warranty claim on an auto is test the oil.

James

Not to long ago after doing my transfer case gear change out I refilled with Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90 which was available at Advance Auto Parts.

I was in a hurry and there were not a whole lot of options. I remember doing internet search on the good ole iphone to verify that it was okay for synchros/soft metals. I don't remember what I found but reading this topic made me re-visit what I had done. The best I found was their FAQ site: http://royalpurple.com/faqs-transmission.html, which says it is "noncorrosive to soft metals found in manual transmissions that specify a GL-4 rated lubricant."

So far I haven't had any issues, but the Pathy is no longer the daily driver so not too many miles on it since the gear swap.

:my2cents:

Oh yeah....it's expensive too...like $19.00 a quart...so moral of the story is plan ahead an order one of the tried and true oils mentioned above.

Edited by andreus009

Not to long ago after doing my transfer case gear change out I refilled with Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90 which was available at Advance Auto Parts.

I was in a hurry and there were not a whole lot of options. I remember doing internet search on the good ole iphone to verify that it was okay for synchros/soft metals. I don't remember what I found but reading this topic made me re-visit what I had done. The best I found was their FAQ site: http://royalpurple.com/faqs-transmission.html, which says it is "noncorrosive to soft metals found in manual transmissions that specify a GL-4 rated lubricant."

So far I haven't had any issues, but the Pathy is no longer the daily driver so not too many miles on it since the gear swap.

:my2cents:

Oh yeah....it's expensive too...like $19.00 a quart...so moral of the story is plan ahead an order one of the tried and true oils mentioned above.

I saw Royal Purple at my local Advance Auto Parts also. Which is funny because it's a new location so they barely have any useful product on hand. I knew the Royal Purple would work without even looking at the bottle. If there is a branch of Gl-5 (mt-1) that is compatible, then you know that Royal Purple damn well better have the best formulas at $20 per quart. I just didn't want to spend $150 on t-case and trans oil changes.