Puzzled again!

craftsman67

After a recent T.B. work on injectors, and replacement of all sensors on it about a month ago...but more recently I replaced the radiator 6 days ago, it seems to be having some more fuel issues of sort...or so it seems.

Yesterday morning it started fine, but on the way to work when I stopped at a stop light, I noticed it was idling a little rough. It ran fine at the speed limit speeds, so the first thing that came to mind was maybe a vacuum line might have come loose. I looked when I got to the job, and thought I found one...but I could have knocked it loose while checking it, just not sure. I put it back hoping it would solve the problem, but no change in the idle.

I came home for a few minutes after work, then I had to run an errand to a friends house...I stopped at Walmart by his house to kill a few minutes until he got home. I came back out and tried to start it but the battery was too weak to turn over. (I knew about the weak battery) So I called him to stop by there to give me a jump. It turned over, but wouldn't start like normal after several attempts. I had to hold it to the floor to get it to start, and keep on the gas for it to run...no idle. I barely made it to his house, but I had to roll through a couple of stop signs, and pop the clutch to restart also, to keep it running. It was dark and getting late so he gave me a ride home.

Today I had a friend with more mechanical skills than me, look at it but we still couldn't find the problem. When we first started it, it did idle rough for a couple minutes, then no idle after that. We pulled the injector wires, one at a time to see if that would make a difference, but still no results. We pulled the seat out an checked the ECM code, but it read a 44. Any ideas on what it could be?

sounds like a mass air flow wire problem....it will run fine under load and want to sputter and die at idle.

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator too, its a tthe back of the engine near the firewall.

sounds like a mass air flow wire problem....it will run fine under load and want to sputter and die at idle.

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator too, its a tthe back of the engine near the firewall.

MAF is new, but I will take a close look at the wires...we didn't think about the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose either...Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

jiggle the wire up by the connector to the MAF sensor. That is the best way to check for the problem. If jiggling it clears up the problem, you have your answer.

Edited by Alkorahil

jiggle the wire up by the connector to the MAF sensor. That is the best way to check for the problem. If jiggling it clears up the problem, you have your answer.

Finally got it back home where I can tinker with it...still not having any luck, so I was thinking something was clogging the injectors again. I changed the fuel filter and replaced the rubber fuel hose. I poured a little Seafoam in the filter before I reattached it, and ran it for a few min...Nothing really changed, so I decided to check the codes again before I pulled the injectors. This time I got a 13, which according to the thread on here is a engine coolant temp sensor. I also read that a bad one could cause it to dump enough fuel in the TB to flood it out some how... Do you think this could be my problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the crappy pics but basically the FSM for my 87 says the most common problems are going to be with spark plugs, poor connection at the air flow meter, or clogged injector

This time I got a 13, which according to the thread on here is a engine coolant temp sensor. I also read that a bad one could cause it to dump enough fuel in the TB to flood it out some how... Do you think this could be my problem?

100% possible and it's probably your issue. Replace it and the harness, bet it'll run great. It's a very common problem with pre-90 VGs and should be replaced with the timing belt I think. I've had so many issues with these sensors so that's what I'll be doing from now on.