True Dual Exhaust

William

green and pink are the same pipe, pink just shows the heat shields.

REPLACE THIS, have custom made with o2 bung welded to it. otherwise your larger red pipes will be bottle necked by it.

one word of warning

don't warp any flanges when welding them or you will be in for some good times :lol:

Speaking about FLANGES. What I am supposed to do with them?

There is a bunch of these and the GASKETS:

VG30EExhaustSystem-Flanges.jpg

Should I cut them off from the stock pipes/Y-pipes and weld them back to the new 2.5" pipes

for connectivity purposes between the various exhaust system components?

What about the GASKETS? I probably need a new set. Do you know where can I source these online?

William

Usually the flanges are rusted up and stuff and should be replaced. You usually don't reuse exhaust gaskets. You can buy them online wherever, they are pretty standard. Try rockauto. but personally I'd probably go to the dealer because their metal ones seem to work better to me. I hate dealing with stupid exhaust leaks at flanges...

As for the heat shields, they are probably more trouble than they are worth at this point. The purpose is to try to not heat up the truck body.... extra heat causes rust and stuff. While you have the exhaust off would be a good time to check the integrity of the body around there and do whatever fixes are necessary.

Speaking about FLANGES. What I am supposed to do with them?

Should I cut them off from the stock pipes/Y-pipes and weld them back to the new 2.5" pipes

for connectivity purposes between the various exhaust system components?

What about the GASKETS? I probably need a new set. Do you know where can I source these online?

William

DO NOT REUSE YOUR FLANGES, FOR THE SAME REASON AS I SAID NOT TO REUSE YOUR MID PIPE (O2 SENSOR PIPE).

Heat shields can be trashed and any fitting, pipe or gasket etc that is from your stock exhaust is 1.825"

Now why in hell would you put a 1.825" flange on a 2.5" pipe?

Ok. The dealer for the GASKETS.

But what about the FLANGES!!! Where do I get these? I don;t believe the dealer

carries these Flanges. Do they? Are they available Aftermarket?

William

No, as tungsten pointed out, my suggestion for the dealer gaskets was dumb, because they will be too small.

:headwall: Of course!!!!!!

How would the small GASKETS and FLANGES fit the 2.5" Pipe!!!

So what to do in that case? How to connect the various parts together? Full welding all the way from start to finish!

What about the O2 sensor. How will I fit it back in?

William

Edited by William

Get flanges of your choice, either billet or whatever el cheapo ones. Same goes for gaskets, just get some decent high temp ones. For the oxygen sensor, since your year is 1992, it will use the small 12mm bung so get one of those and weld the bung into the mid pipe as close to the engine as possible but to not interfere with the bolts. Make sure you use 3 bolt flanges at the manifolds.

:headwall: Of course!!!!!!

How would the small GASKETS and FLANGES fit the 2.5" Pipe!!!

So what to do in that case? How to connect the various parts together? Full welding all the way from start to finish!

What about the O2 sensor. How will I fit it back in?

William

Seriously, how about you read some of the replies! I said get the pipe custom made with an O2 sensor bung. any exhaust shop should be able to do that.

If you are this clueless about how everything should go together maybe you should stop by an exhaust shop. they have flanges, pipes, gaskets, adapters, lifts, welders, benders and everything else you need to build you a very custom 2.5" exhaust setup.

Seriously, how about you read some of the replies! I said get the pipe custom made with an O2 sensor bung. any exhaust shop should be able to do that.

If you are this clueless about how everything should go together maybe you should stop by an exhaust shop. they have flanges, pipes, gaskets, adapters, lifts, welders, benders and everything else you need to build you a very custom 2.5" exhaust setup.

Sorry about that (I am not clueless though :( )

Sometimes, I rush into a replies prior refreshing the page. I did not read your post till after I wrote mine.

Always happy to read your replies though. Honestly :)

William

I came across plenty of online retailers selling flanges and gaskets for all sorts of applications

(regular, turbos, ..., 2 Bolts, 3 Bolts, 4 Bolts, ...). No worries there ;)

I'll just make sure to order them in 2.5" dimensions to match the new pipe size.

As for the Heat Shield. I came across a

technique for Heat Shielding the Exhaust pipes:

Step 1: VHT Flat Black Flameproof

Step1-VHTFlatBlackFlameproof.jpg

Step 2: Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology by DEI

Step2-TitaniumExhaustWrapwithLRTechnologybyDEI.jpg

Step 3: HT Silicone Coating

Step3-HTSiliconeCoating.jpg

Does it make sense?

William

If you do header wrap do not go cheap on the pipe. The wrap increases the heat inside the pipe (good) but also accelerates metal fatigue so If you buy thin pipes and wrap them they will only last a few years.

If you do header wrap do not go cheap on the pipe. The wrap increases the heat inside the pipe (good) but also accelerates metal fatigue so If you buy thin pipes and wrap them they will only last a few years.

Thx My1Path. I'll keep that in mind. I only planned on wrapping those sections of the pipe

that had stock Heat Shields on them as I plan to throw my rusty shields away.

Do you recommend a specific Pipe Thickness?

I'm also putting an order for Doug Thorley headers to complete this 2.5" Pipe upgrade.

They are Ceramic Coated and according to the installation instructions, putting any form

of exhaust wrap on these headers voids the warranty :S

Now the DT headers specs:

HEADER EXIT: DRIVER

PRIMARY/COLLECTOR: 1 1/2" - 2 1/2"

DRIVE: 4WD

Will I need in that case a 1.5->2.5" adaptor between the output of the headers and

the new 2.5" Exhaust Pipe?

William

I'm pretty sure the thorley's have a 2.5" exit so you need to adapter. The coating on the thorley's basically does the same thing as the wrap so you don't need it. I doubt you actually need to wrap any part of your exhaust unless you have specific heat concerns about a particular place with your custom setup.

Thx My1Path. I'll keep that in mind. I only planned on wrapping those sections of the pipe

that had stock Heat Shields on them as I plan to throw my rusty shields away.

Do you recommend a specific Pipe Thickness?

I'm also putting an order for Doug Thorley headers to complete this 2.5" Pipe upgrade.

They are Ceramic Coated and according to the installation instructions, putting any form

of exhaust wrap on these headers voids the warranty :S

Now the DT headers specs:

HEADER EXIT: DRIVER

PRIMARY/COLLECTOR: 1 1/2" - 2 1/2"

DRIVE: 4WD

Will I need in that case a 1.5->2.5" adaptor between the output of the headers and

the new 2.5" Exhaust Pipe?

William

The primaries are 1.5" what that means as that each pipe coming off the block its 1.5". The collector is where they all meet and your / their Y-pipe bolts up and that is 2.5" Thorely's are really thick and the ceramic coating holds the heat in Like a wrap would.

12-14 gauge is probably good if your going to wrap the whole pipe. 18 gauge is too light for wrapping.