rear end question

Steve_RI

Ideally, you don't want any play because if you can note some by hand with it lifted, imagine how much it moves when you hit a pothole at 35mph. How does it feel when you drive and how much are you seeing?

B

Good point. Well, I replaced the compression rod bushings, old ones were worn but cups were still in good shape. I went through the rest of the front end, ball joints, tie rod, centerlink, & wheel bearings. Truck is tight and tracks straight, but if I hit some imperfections in the road is gets a little "squirrelly". I wouldn't categorize it as a death wobble that I read about, but when this topic comes up it is usually the compression rod or the rear links. I'll jack the truck up and look for any play.

Well, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. The rear trailing arms were fine. I rechecked everything up front, and with the tire off the ground when you grab the tire at 3 and 9 you can get a little bit of movement at the inner tie rod at the CL. This is definitely the issue and the obvious weak point with this steering setup. I did use the cheap(er) tie rods from autozone figuring it would not make a difference since the truck is rarely wheeled. The CL is OEM from a dealer that I picked up a couple years ago and is in obvious good shape. I'm a little surprised given everything is new. Would the modified centerlink (grassroots 4X4) and beefier tie rods eliminate that play? The truck is at stock height is used primarily to haul the family to and from the mountain in the winter.