Injector decision

TugboatTony

I've taken the upper plenum off of my VG30E as I noticed rodent chew marks exposing the wire on my #6 injector wires (of course it's THAT one). Not to mention its running rich even before my EGR delete. I've pulled all of the injectors out and have hit a bit of a 'between a rock and a hard place' kinda situation. I live in a fair sized town and have found only one place that will do the sonic clean and balance test but it costs $35.00 a peice, but when i called my buddy at the parts store whom gives me a james bond discount quoted me $38.00 a peice for rebuilt ones............should I get them cleaned or just go with the rebuilt ones? Anyone had any nightmares with choosing rebuilt injectors?

Thanx fellas.

I've taken the upper plenum off of my VG30E as I noticed rodent chew marks exposing the wire on my #6 injector wires (of course it's THAT one). Not to mention its running rich even before my EGR delete. I've pulled all of the injectors out and have hit a bit of a 'between a rock and a hard place' kinda situation. I live in a fair sized town and have found only one place that will do the sonic clean and balance test but it costs $35.00 a peice, but when i called my buddy at the parts store whom gives me a james bond discount quoted me $38.00 a peice for rebuilt ones............should I get them cleaned or just go with the rebuilt ones? Anyone had any nightmares with choosing rebuilt injectors?

Thanx fellas.

I've done neither on my Path, but does that $38 include a warranty? Depending on which warranty from which place lasts longer, I'd go that route. Plus, if you go rebuilt, you dont have any down time waiting to get them back if its your daily driver.

I've done neither on my Path, but does that $38 include a warranty? Depending on which warranty from which place lasts longer, I'd go that route. Plus, if you go rebuilt, you dont have any down time waiting to get them back if its your daily driver.

I didn't look into the warranty on either of 'em yet but just like you said it's the turn around time I'm worried about. The cleaning outfit said 2 days but I've just been called out for a two week barge tow and we're supposed to be expecting snow sometime next week. I'm also worried about paying to get all 6 cleaned to find out 1 or more is/are pooched and have to buy new ones anyways. I was thinking about going with the new(rebuilt) ones as they're in stock so if it does snow, my wife can still get around, also this way i can put them in tonight/tomorrow and still have a couple days to conquer any 'snags' i hit putting it back together before i leave. Warranties and wait time time aside, would it worth waiting on the originals getting cleaned or would rebuilt ones be a safe bet?

Edited by TugboatTony

I didn't look into the warranty on either of 'em yet but just like you said it's the turn around time I'm worried about. The cleaning outfit said 2 days but I've just been called out for a two week barge tow and we're supposed to be expecting snow sometime next week. I'm also worried about paying to get all 6 cleaned to find out 1 or more is/are pooched and have to buy new ones anyways. I was thinking about going with the new(rebuilt) ones as they're in stock so if it does snow, my wife can still get around, also this way i can put them in tonight/tomorrow and still have a couple days to conquer any 'snags' i hit putting it back together before i leave. Warranties and wait time time aside, would it worth waiting on the originals getting cleaned or would rebuilt ones be a safe bet?

I've never heard of an issue with a rebuilt injector, I mean basically you are "rebuilding" your old ones to a certain extent just getting them cleaned to begin with. If downtime is an issue, I say go rebuilt.

Ohhh..... Id shy away from rebuilt ones if it was me, I have seen too many people back in a year with one failing and having to replace one all over again, even if it does have a warranty. Then 3 months later another one fails and so on and so on. Gets to be a pain pulling the intake off all the time to replace one if its on the left side of the motor.....and the warranty doesnt cover labor, just the part.

They are cheap for a reason IMHO.

One the other hand new are outrageous, so I understand it is a rock and a hardplace!

BTW, if you havent thought of it, get a few cans of throttle body cleaner and clean the intake plenum and the tubes that run underneath it....

Just finished puttin all rebuilts in, lubed them up with oil for pressing them in, flashed it up...........ran like a bag o's**t, wouldnt even idle. Pissed off and full of hate i ripped everything back off again, noticed the plenum gasket was wet and reeked of fuel on two cylinders. Pulled the injectors and noticed i had ripped two of the o-rings, replaced the orings and used white lithium grease, they went in easier than pulling them out, now it runs perfect!! I highly recommend using that stuff for re-installing these finicky little PITAs. Now FINALLY I can get on putting my SL in. Bring on the snow!!!!!

Edited by TugboatTony

Ohhh..... Id shy away from rebuilt ones if it was me, I have seen too many people back in a year with one failing and having to replace one all over again, even if it does have a warranty. Then 3 months later another one fails and so on and so on. Gets to be a pain pulling the intake off all the time to replace one if its on the left side of the motor.....and the warranty doesnt cover labor, just the part.

They are cheap for a reason IMHO.

One the other hand new are outrageous, so I understand it is a rock and a hardplace!

BTW, if you havent thought of it, get a few cans of throttle body cleaner and clean the intake plenum and the tubes that run underneath it....

I just went with the rebuilt ones as the guy didnt explain that 35 bucks was for the cleaning only!!! 10 more for the test and a three day wait. Really appreciate your input though mate.

Edited by TugboatTony