Loss Of All Power

headpeace

I have 12.5 volts off my battery, but no power to anything else. My headlights are wired directly to the battery via the headlight relay mod and they work fine. Otherwise no power anywhere else, no lights on the dash, no blinker lights. Won't start at all. Is there a main relay or fuse I can check??

Sounds like a blown fusable link or bad connection at the positive battery terminal. Check the secondary wires that connect to the positive terminal as well as both terminal's connections to the battery.

Possibly a fuse. Can you turn on your radio? or you can't turn anything on that's not wired DIRECTLY to the battery?

No radio, nothing at all. The first thing I did was pull both connections at the battery and clean them because I thought it was just some corrosion, unfortunately that's not the case.

No radio, nothing at all. The first thing I did was pull both connections at the battery and clean them because I thought it was just some corrosion, unfortunately that's not the case.

hmm. that's weird. This happened to me once, but I still had the radio and brake lights. Turns out it was just the ignition fuse. It's funny how that little fuse can make it so nothing works.

In your case, it might be multiple fuses. Like the ignition fuse, the stereo fuse, and the instrument cluster fuse. I could be very wrong, but it takes about 30 seconds to check, so what's the harm?

If you do have multiple fuses blown, then you should find out what caused it. A burst of power came through and broke all the fuses, which is what's supposed to happen to not break your stuff.

Anyway, just start looking around

This happened to me with my first car ('89 Geo Metro) while I was driving at night. I'm humming along and all of the sudden it was like someone pulled "the cord". I had no lights or radio and the engine shut off all at once. It turned out to be one of the main fuses (40 amp IIRC) and never happened again. To this day I blame my custom stereo for that event.

You may want to check for a blown fuse under the hood close to the battery. Like 1994SEV6 said, it should take all of thirty seconds to check for it.

I had that before when I accidentally shorted out my gauge cluster. (Don't ask how...) The truck wouldn't even crank!

The fix was replacing one of those fuses in the compartment below the steering wheel. Everything else was fine, even the fusible link was untouched. I can't remember which one it was but I would start with the one that says ROOM LAMP.

Thanks all for the help, it turned out to be the fusible link at the pos battery connection. One of the wires broke off at the connection. Checked the dealer, they don't stock them anymore but he could order one to be here wednesday for $30.00. No thanks, came home cut the wire and soldered it back in, works great. I am about to head to the JY to try and find one or some that are in better shape though.

Thanks again

That's happened to me twice now and it's annoying. I think a good permanent fix is to wire up a power distribution block on the fender or something so the wires don't break off the battery terminal from vibration. Dumb design from the factory.

It's really not that bad, you should see how Honda does this crap. I switched to an AGM battery and no longer have that issue with the acid eating up the terminals. In fact an AGM battery does not form any corrosion around those terminals. It's a 2-piece positive battery connection fastened together with a special bolt and it is very easy to maintenance.