Just looking for a few opinions

Dowser

Hey everyone.

I've been looking into purchasing a new set of wheels for awhile. I've been pretty stoked about a particular set, which is a 15x8 wheel that I plan to put 33x12.5's on. The only issue is that it only comes in an offset of -12. Now doing a bit of research on that, and finding a cross reference for backspacing it comes out to being 4" backspacing. Now... That's not really the optimal backspacing I was looking for. I wanted a 3.75 backspacing wheel.

So here's what I'm wondering.

What are your opinions on using a 0.25 wheel spacer to bring the 4" backspacing to a 3.75" I would probably need longer wheel studs I'm guessing but that's more of a minor nuisance then an issue. Think this is a bad idea? I sure do love the wheels.

Helo HE791's

HE7912.jpg

HE791MAXX6_BLK.jpg

Edited by Dowser

Hey its not for everyone, but I like chrome. Well, the extra 6mm effects turning radius. 4" gives for less of it cause you start rubbing the frame. When I had my 3.75's before, I didn't have this issue as much. 6mm doesn't seem like much i know but it does make a difference. I may end up settling for something else, but right now I'm probably trying to convince myself that its a great idea hahaha

nah....bad idea.

don't ghetto rig stuff just to make something fit that "looks good". That's how you break stuff and make stuff unsafe and get in trouble.

and no offence, but if you're into the whole "chrome wheels, fake hood scoop, spoiler on top of spoiler, chrome tipped exhaust" stuff, then go to infamousnissan.com they got you covered. They are experts on chrome and wheel spacers

Edited by 1994SEV6

nah....bad idea.

don't ghetto rig stuff just to make something fit that "looks good". That's how you break stuff and make stuff unsafe and get in trouble.

and no offence, but if you're into the whole "chrome wheels, fake hood scoop, spoiler on top of spoiler, chrome tipped exhaust" stuff, then go to infamousnissan.com they got you covered. They are experts on chrome and wheel spacers

When did he ever say anything about hood scoops and spoilers? Who cares if he puts chrome rims on his ride? His ride, his money.

If your dead set on that specific wheel, I would personally learn the 'new' turning limit as I just have a personal distaste for wheel spacers (especially those thinner 'slide on' ones). Maby there's another company that makes a wheel pretty close to that design that will pop a set out for you with the right backspacing?

(your truck, your style. As long as you like em, none of us have to drive it :beer: )

:rofl:

I should have known better then to post a picture of something chrome on these offroad forums eh? Look, what I was saying is that I prefer the look of some chrome on a rig, even while beating the living piss out of it on a trail. "In my opinion", It adds a little CLASS to the whole thing.

At any rate.

Nunya. I've never had any experience with spacers what so ever and agree with spacers being a bad idea. I can understand the physics behind it as well but I always thought it applied more to the big 1" spacers and not so much the small 1/4 inch ones. I guess my thinking was that perhaps because the shims were so small it wouldn't be a problem. Could you elaborate on why you have such distaste the thinner ones that slide on? I'd just like to get more understanding.

Belive me, I'm not taking away from the wheels at all. We all know I like me some shiny to begin with. Not like you posted up those Dick Cepek Flat-Billars (I don't know that they're called but I see them on a bunch of Monster energy drink stickered- altezza polishers round here. Sucks because I kinda like them, at least some people wheel on them too).

My distaste for spacers stems from a spotty past with them. As some know my occupation gives me a 'unique' choice of automotive resources, mixed with being cheap and a bit odd myself causes some wHierd things to occur. A set of factory bonneville aluminum wheels was acquired once here with brand new tires that the set ran strait, smooth, and quietly (and it was a simple clean factory wheel). Car of the moment was a Maxima. No matter what was done they would never run smooth with the small needed spacer to get them to clear. Those wheels afterwards went to 2 other cars with 0 issues as well.

Had a couple 'wobbly wheel' and 'constantly come loose' issues with them as well. My past with them ain't exactly unicorns and glitter but I'm sure plenty of people out there will say issues are slim and I just was part of that slim percent... Many times :lol:

I've heard complaints like Nunya's repeatedly. Will wheel spacers absolutely be a problem, probably not. Can they be a problem, definitely. Leave the spacers for show cars and trailer queens, use the proper hardware for what you are "beating the living piss out of it on a trail" (and a DD I assume).

little CLASS

Really?? You, Dowser?? Really??

:new576:

B

I've only had wheel spacers on one ride, and it was a bagged 2WD Hardbody. I did a 5 lug swap and ran some FWD rims so had to run tiny spacers in the front and though I never had major issues, I seemed to always be tightening my wheels back up. I couldnt imagine putting them through a trail run.