Bushings

:help: Does anyone know where i can get a set of Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings for my 1997 Pathfinder? I've looked online but can find any for the R50 body style. I want to stay away from the dealer if i can. I also would like a better grade of material such as the ones that are on the energy suspension website (Made from polyurethane). I have access to a machine shop, so if there is anyone that knows the demotions of these bushings I’d like to try and fabricate them myself if there isn’t a company that produces them. I would take the dimensions myself but I need my ride to go to school, and can afford to have it out for that long. Being able to buy them would be best though. Is there is anyone here that can help? :help:

Thks. Pathfinder_Rookie

4x4parts.com sells poly bushings for the R50s. You can search thier msg boards (96+ Pathys) and you'll find a lot of discussion concerning pressing these in yourself. There is a metal sleeve on the OEM bushings that can be hard to remove, but some guys found the right technique. Pressing in the polys can be quite a battle too. Some guys do it themselves OK, others tried and failed, you'll get a considerable amount of info there.

see my site (www.purplelizard.com) for my experiences with the bushings, I had the dealer replace all 4 links.

I don't trust poly bushings in really cold climates (I'm in maine) but maybe that is a false fear.

Another trick thing being done to the lower arms is welding a section of angle iron to the underside, sort of a mini rock slider, it stiffens the arm and offers protection.

I was a newbie when I had the swaying problems, I wish I kept the original links

from the dealer to experiment with. I'll prolly pull a set from the boneyard to modify one of these days.

mike

I bought the AC bushings, but have yet to get any of the bolts off!!!!! AC told me the upper and lower bushings were the same? So i ordered what they told me..I know, i'm and idiot....but it would really be nice if I could GET THE BOLTS OFF to verify the bushing sizes.

Thanks Guys! I’ve checked out your suggested websites but without luck in finding the bushings, unless i want to order 10,000 of them, which isn’t happening. I went to the dealer and priced out the upper and lower control arms and the pan hard rod it came to 185.00 CAN. When i asked the service guy for any tips for replacing them he laughed at me, and told me to have fun with it. What an hiney. Has anyone done this operation be fore or would i be better off buying the control arms with the bushings already installed?

The reason they laughed was because they automatically cut the bolts off..They don't come off any other way! I've tried to remove the bolts for 4 days to no avail! I brought it to 3 Mechanics and they couldn't get them off either. I finally broke down and went to two local dealerships, after getting through the sales reps, i finally talked to several mechanics who said they won't even attempt it since 9 times out of 10 they won't come off. They cut them almost everytime! Now I have to resort to the same thing...

I bought the 4 packages of bushings at Automotive Customizers. The part number is SPPE99R45068 and they are $32.50 each pair, and you need 4 packages total.

I will do a write up with photos when I finaly get them done.