I have doors from a 1994 Pathy. but the VIN says Japan

1994SEV6

When I was buying a transmission for my HB, the guy gave me some Pathfinder doors he had laying around. He got them as a good deal, but they ended up being junk laying around.

They are in perfect condition, and I was taking pictures to sell them. I looked quickly at the door jamb sticker just to read to see if it was the same as mine.

I noticed a few weird things. The top half is pretty much identical to mine. It is arranged differently, but it is the same info. Tire size, psi, vehicle weight, vehicle towing..etc

But then the VIN starts with JN8. This indicates a Nissan made in Japan..right? Well..if it was made in Japan, how the heck did it get over here? Pathfinders are awesome...but I wouldn't pay shipping and import fees to get one over here from Japan. Especially when there is no shortage of them here.

I'll post pics of my door jamb sticker, and the Pathy's. Also note the bottom 1/4. Mine has the engine type, trans type, axle type, etc. The pathfinder doesn't have this. It is cut short right after the VIN

2011-11-09131917.jpg

2011-08-03142102-1.jpg

Just means it came from the japan plant, not the tennesse assembly plant. Both WhiteOwl and ToolShed were japan built, all my actual roadworthy HBs I've had were Tennesse trucks (ones bought AS parts trucks I never looked/cared). Both wd21s have perfect frames, all the d21s left me with frame rof. Coincidence? :shrug:

Just means it came from the japan plant, not the tennesse assembly plant. Both WhiteOwl and ToolShed were japan built, all my actual roadworthy HBs I've had were Tennesse trucks (ones bought AS parts trucks I never looked/cared). Both wd21s have perfect frames, all the d21s left me with frame rof. Coincidence? :shrug:

Are you saying that the truck was built in Japan and then shipped over here by Nissan? That seems silly. They intentionally built plants in the US to not do that.

My WD's Japan made, and it's got rot. :scratchhead: The hardbodies I've seen around here are rotted too.

My understanding is that Pathfinders were Japan made, Hardbodies were Tennessee. This may have something to do with the chicken tax (the reason Pathfinders went from 2 doors to 4): perhaps building a plant here was cheaper than paying import fees for 2-door hardbodies.

My WD's Japan made, and it's got rot. :scratchhead: The hardbodies I've seen around here are rotted too.

My understanding is that Pathfinders were Japan made, Hardbodies were Tennessee. This may have something to do with the chicken tax (the reason Pathfinders went from 2 doors to 4): perhaps building a plant here was cheaper than paying import fees for 2-door hardbodies.

oh yeah yeah. right. I forgot the chicken tax was only for the trucks. It didn't apply to anything else. Yeah, that chicken tax is ridiculous. It taxes import light trucks at 25%!!! That means a 20k truck is now 25k because of the tax. That's a lotta bank.

To me, except for minor differences, aren't Pathfinders and HBs identical? All they did was add the extra roof? Just weld on some metal and put some glass in there. I would think it would just be easier to consolidate things..

But I guess that's why I don't own any car companies. Nissan sure had their stuff figured out in the 90s.

That one plant in Smyrna could not produce every vehicle in the Nissan lineup. I think it only did 720's and then the Hardbody for the longest time. In fact my 87 Hardbody was actually built in Japan, so even while it was building trucks they were still importing from their Japanese plant. My 94 Hardbody was built here though.

That one plant in Smyrna could not produce every vehicle in the Nissan lineup. I think it only did 720's and then the Hardbody for the longest time. In fact my 87 Hardbody was actually built in Japan, so even while it was building trucks they were still importing from their Japanese plant. My 94 Hardbody was built here though.

Oh I know that one plant couldn't make EVERYTHING, but I was just wondering about HBs and Pathfinders since they are so closely related. 87 HB built in Japan? Boy, that must have been hit hard by the chicken tax.