MANUAL TRANSMISSION WORRY

Guest K MAN

I had a 1988 xe with a 5 speed tranny.It had 88000 miles when I purchased it and being the nut that I am I changed all the fluids gave it a complete tune up etc etc.I wanted to change the manual tranny fluid.my friend told me to leave it be but being thickheaded I changed the gear oil in the tranny.I did not use api gl-4.I really did not know that that is a must.At that time it was my first Pathfinder.Sure enough a couple of weeks later the tranny starts whining in 3rd gear and progressively got worse.Looking back I ALWAYS thought it was because I used the wrong weight gear oil.but after reading these posts maybe not.I ended up replacng the entire transmission and never changed the gear oil again.I have since sold that truck and now own a 95 se 5 speed.It had 94000 miles when I brought it and now has 146000 miles.I am always a nut when it comes to oil changes,tune ups etc but I have not touched the transmission gear oil since I have a bad taste in my mouth.As much as I have wanted to change the oil I HAVE NOT AND IT RUNS FINE.I do check the level and have not had to add any....Any input would be appreciated...THANKS

Hey K Man. I'm the same way (especially with a 4x4), I ALWAYS change all the oils (and will do full tune up if necessary). I merely consider it starting the clock on a maintainance schedule. It doesn't cost that much, and the gears like it ;) . I don't know what happened with the previous truck's tranny; maybe it was what you put into it, maybe not....

OK, by the math you have not changed the tranny oil for 52K+ miles. Maybe the oil hadn't been changed for 20k, 30k, 50k before you bought it... So, that puts you at 52K-102K running that oil. The replacement schedule is every 30K, more often if you wheel it, do water crodssings, etc. Change your oil, or you WILL start hearing a whine !! Maybe it runs fine now, but oil brakes down/gets contaminated! Do not fear changing the oil, it is good not bad; just put in the right stuff ! There is a TSB posted in the garage by madkiwi that you should read about adding 'extra' oil. I think just jacking up the passenger side will let you add the 'extra' recommended, but I had the tranny out to do the clutch so I just poured it down the shifter hole. I put in 4 qts 80-90 gl4 and 1qt lucas oil stablizer for good luck. Shifting is stiff the first 1/4 mile on cold start, but then fine.

I HIGHLY recommend changing the oil, and soon, but then it's your tranny. Be well.

Bernard