Bolt remover/extractor

Trogdor636

I've only used the super cheesy ones (normally they screw in, no drill needed) with limited success. I am looking for a good brand, kind of looking for a little set for a few different sizes even. Hopefully nothing super expensive. Sears had a few different sets, anybody use those with any success? I'm eventually preparing for exhaust studs, and my skid pan has about 3 out of 5 bolts that need removed.

I have a set of around 5 from Cleveland Twist Drill that hasn't been terrible. They are the "spiral" type, not the "square" type. Any screw extractor is basically going to be a consumable item though. My set probably cost around $20 or $30? Don't really remember.

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I would get is a set of left-hand drill bits. 80% of the time you can get broken off bolts or studs out by drilling an 1/8" hole with one and then switching to a 3/16". Once you get the larger drill started lean on it a little so the bit digs in. Often times that backs the broken fastener right out. If not you've got the right size hole for a conventional extractor. At the very least using LH drills keeps you from making the problem worse by tightening the fastener further when drilling.

As far as extractors, I never use the twisted ones as they always seem to break. Get the ones that are straight, tapered squares. You pound them in and then turn them. Also use a tap handle and apply even force to both handles so you don't load the extractor sideways. Most people break off extractors because they try to turn them with a wrench and side load them. I've also had very good luck with an extractor set of this design, but I don't know what brand mine are, Roddick maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370554671751#ht_2755wt_754

Edited by Mr.510

^Same things I always say. Left hand drills, drill through first, the heat, vibration, torque and allowing the material to collapse on its self often does the trick. The left hand spiral type are ok for larger sizes, maybe 3/8 hole diameter and larger but I never use them on small bolts. The only other thing required is patience. Try to rush, short cut or or get frustrated and you will only make things worse...

B