Codes

joeyd50

I'm having trouble with my 1994 Nissan starting, it starts fine, idles up for a second or 2 then dies,after that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, 3.0 4X4 auto trans. There's no check engine lite lit, could there still be a code that would tell me ups with this. Or what do you guys think it is?

Thanks

Joe

I'm having trouble with my 1994 Nissan starting, it starts fine, idles up for a second or 2 then dies,after that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, 3.0 4X4 auto trans. There's no check engine lite lit, could there still be a code that would tell me ups with this. Or what do you guys think it is?

Thanks

Joe

Its easy enough to check the codes that you might as well do it. Sounds like it could be a fuel problem to me though.

In my head I was thinking fuel problem. Maybe try changing your fuel filter, and if you have a gauge, check the fuel pressure...

Just for the hell of it I just went to check the fuel cap to see if it was on tight, and soon as I opened it all kind of pressure released. To me it seens like the chokes not working, or what ever it has instead of a choke.

Edited by joeyd50

Sounds like a plugged fuel filter or faulty fuel pump. When was the last time the filter was changed ? When you say a couple of seconds, do to litteraly mean 2 seconds or after a couple of minutes?

If it's running for a few minutes and dies then the pump probably isn't keeping up with demand or the filter is plugging on the 'outlet' side going to the throttle body or fuel regulator and is starving for fuel when the line runs dry.

Edited by krmiller07

The "choke" is the air regulator. It's the tower-like thing on the rear-drivers side of the upper plenum. It is supposed to increase air flow and therefore idle speed when the engine is cold. I'm not sure this sounds like your problem though, because it should still likely run, just at the normal idle speed...

Some pressure in the fuel tank is acceptable... there is a valve that opens at a certain pressure that directs vapour to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. The less fuel in the tank, the more air space for this pressure to build up. If the valve is damaged or the line to the canister/canister itself clogged then excessive pressure could develop. But if anything I'd think that would increase fuel flow, not restrict it :)

Edited by sewebster

Sounds like a plugged fuel filter or faulty fuel pump. When was the last time the filter was changed ? When you say a couple of seconds, do to litteraly mean 2 seconds or after a couple of minutes?

If it's running for a few minutes and dies then the pump probably isn't keeping up with demand or the filter is plugging on the 'outlet' side going to the throttle body or fuel regulator and is starving for fuel when the line runs dry.

Yea, maybe 3 seconds, it starts fine RPM go up to around 1800 and then it just dies. I took the fuel filter off and ran a piece of pipe so there was no restriction. Once it warms up it runs fine.

Thanks

Joe

Edited by joeyd50

• 3 weeks later...

I check the ECU and came up a code 55 witch means no malfunctions. Checking the code I would turn the key on, then turn screw fully clockwise, wait and the red and green light would blink 2 times and then it would blink 3 times, at that point I turn the screw fully counter clockwise. Then I got 5 red flashes and 5 green. Did I do this correctly?

Thanks

Joe

I check the ECU and came up a code 55 witch means no malfunctions. Checking the code I would turn the key on, then turn screw fully clockwise, wait and the red and green light would blink 2 times and then it would blink 3 times, at that point I turn the screw fully counter clockwise. Then I got 5 red flashes and 5 green. Did I do this correctly?

Thanks

Joe

yup