Gear Ratios and rpm

TacitBlue

I just purchased a 1998 Pathfinder SE 5 speed 4WD and noticed that in 5th gear at 2500 rpm I'm only doing 58 mph (speedometer) 57 mph (GPS). The rpm seems kind of high for this speed. In my Honda Odyssey at 2000 rpm I'm doing 70 mph (speedometer) 66 mph (GPS). I get about 19 mpg around town and about 21 maybe 22 mpg highway. Thanks for any input on this. Also I got it at 106,000 miles and the dealer didn't know whether the timing belt was changed. Are there any signs that the timing belt is wearing out or about to go? Is it possibly to just take the plastic guard off and check out the condition of the timing belt? Thanks.

-Mark

Edited by TacitBlue

Smaller than stock tires could cause higher highway RPMs by a little bit. But what you say sounds about right if you have the deeper 4.63 axle ration gears (better off road). I think these gears were more common on the SE models, but not certain of that.

If dealer says "not sure" that always means "no" in my experience, lol. There is rarely a warning sign, just poof and major engine problems.

Edited by BowTied

I just purchased a 1998 Pathfinder SE 5 speed 4WD and noticed that in 5th gear at 2500 rpm I'm only doing 58 mph (speedometer) 57 mph (GPS). The rpm seems kind of high for this speed. In my Honda Odyssey at 2000 rpm I'm doing 70 mph (speedometer) 66 mph (GPS). I get about 19 mpg around town and about 21 maybe 22 mpg highway. Thanks for any input on this. Also I got it at 106,000 miles and the dealer didn't know whether the timing belt was changed. Are there any signs that the timing belt is wearing out or about to go? Is it possibly to just take the plastic guard off and check out the condition of the timing belt? Thanks.

-Mark

Yes, let's compare a real SUV to a minivan. :rofl:

The minivan is geared differently for more fuel economy and quietness. It's not meant to go off-road where low gearing is a must and it doesn't have the best Japanese engine ever made that you have in the Pathfinder.

The VG engine is the most efficient between 3000 and 4000 rpm. It's normal to drive around doing 3000 rpms. Nissan geared it that way for a reason! When I cruise between 55 and 65 on sloping roads I leave over drive off (equivalent to using a lower gear) and there is plenty of power to get around. :treadmill:

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1