Performance...what next?

winnipegjohnston

Well, it will keep the plenum cooler, which will keep the intake air cooler, which means the air should be more dense, so you get more oxygen to burn the fuel. It will also change the air flow characteristics in the plenum, essentially making it bigger. Probably this could be good or bad, depending on the design, but since people seem to talk more about hollowing their intakes than filling them in, I'm guessing good...

Except that the intake air will not be that much significantly cooler with the spacer. It does add a little bit of length to the intake runners but the VQ intake runners are good enough as is.

• Like 1

Except that the intake air will not be that much significantly cooler with the spacer. It does add a little bit of length to the intake runners but the VQ intake runners are good enough as is.

From what I have heard from 350z/G35 owners a 5/16" plenum spacer made a noticeable difference

Perhaps their plenums are smaller to begin with? It would make sense that they would put a smaller intake plenum into a smaller car. I need to see some dyno figures.

I'd like to see some dyno figures also. If dyno time wasn't so damn expensive I'd get my pathy dyno'd to see what kind of whp i'm putting down with the K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. I know this isn't a performance vehicle by any means but I always like to add more power to everything I buy! Kinda like Tim the 'tool man' Taylor lol!

On a somewhat related note, I had it out with my buddies 2009 Toyota Tundra Crew tonight from about 70km/h to about 130km/h. He finish about 1 truck length ahead. He has K&N intake and exhaust also. I think it would be a better race from a stop, but we couldn't catch a light (on the closed circuit race course : )

Edited by winnipegjohnston

Perhaps their plenums are smaller to begin with? It would make sense that they would put a smaller intake plenum into a smaller car. I need to see some dyno figures.

Shut up.

I put a spacer on my Z and dyno'd it. I'll get numbers tomorrow.

I'd like to see some dyno figures also. If dyno time wasn't so damn expensive I'd get my pathy dyno'd to see what kind of whp i'm putting down with the K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. I know this isn't a performance vehicle by any means but I always like to add more power to everything I buy! Kinda like Tim the 'tool man' Taylor lol!

On a somewhat related note, I had it out with my buddies 2009 Toyota Tundra Crew tonight from about 70km/h to about 130km/h. He finish about 1 truck length ahead. He has K&N intake and exhaust also. I think it would be a better race from a stop, but we couldn't catch a light (on the closed circuit race course : )

I dyno'd my path about a year ago with K&N intake and magnaflow exhaust. Lost the paper, but I remember it was 181.4 or 181.2 HP at 2nd gear. That was on a mustang dyno (the dyno that is not elevated which apparently gives less HP) because my friend dyno'd his path on dynojet which is the elevated one and he got 190 HP and our paths run about the same

Shut up.

I put a spacer on my Z and dyno'd it. I'll get numbers tomorrow.

Your point is invalid in this thread. You put the spacer on a VG not a VQ. That's a completely different engine. Your Z also does not have a Pathfinder intake plenum with longer runners.

I dyno'd my path about a year ago with K&N intake and magnaflow exhaust. Lost the paper, but I remember it was 181.4 or 181.2 HP at 2nd gear. That was on a mustang dyno (the dyno that is not elevated which apparently gives less HP) because my friend dyno'd his path on dynojet which is the elevated one and he got 190 HP and our paths run about the same

Interesting. Do you both have 5spds or autos? I wonder what a stock pathy dynos at? Anyone know?

Just an assumption here, but I would guess that if you had manual hubs up front and they were unlocked you would probably put more hp to the rear wheels as you wouldn't have as much drive train loss?

Interesting. Do you both have 5spds or autos? I wonder what a stock pathy dynos at? Anyone know?

Just an assumption here, but I would guess that if you had manual hubs up front and they were unlocked you would probably put more hp to the rear wheels as you wouldn't have as much drive train loss?

Me and my friend's pathfinders are both automatic. By the way, I am considering buying a stock diameter pulley set from unorthodox racing. What do you think?

Me and my friend's pathfinders are both automatic. By the way, I am considering buying a stock diameter pulley set from unorthodox racing. What do you think?

Okay, I'm automatic too. I checked the Unorthodox website and they don't list a pulley set for our vehicles. I see an underdrive set for the VQ35DE of the Murano, but I don't know if that would fit our Pathfinders...the dyno results they post are nice tho! Where did you see these?

Okay, I'm automatic too. I checked the Unorthodox website and they don't list a pulley set for our vehicles. I see an underdrive set for the VQ35DE of the Murano, but I don't know if that would fit our Pathfinders...the dyno results they post are nice tho! Where did you see these?

Where do i see what? Also remember that murano are FWD and AWD, so you have to check under 350z. I always check under the 2003 350z and if I find, I then proceed to contact the provider for fitment verification.

By the way, I had emailed unorthodox racing and they said that as long as I do not mark the pulleys up in any way I could return them if they do not fit, but I am pretty sure that the 350z pulleys fit them. I am hesistating about ordering the pulleys because some people have complained that they cause trouble, i am not sure how.

I already had ordered a long time ago the stillen ceramic headers for the 350z (http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIHDR05) but never got around to install them because they are not a direct fit and other parts were needed according to my mechanic. I will call him probably tomorrow because after searching for other mods for the path, I could not find anything and its frustrating. I hope that I can install the headers to my path and also a y-pipe.

I will update you with more info when I speak to my mechanic tomorrow!

Edited by Alfredo24PR

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so hopefully I will get the headers installed next week. For now, I know that the pulleys a friend of mine who has a path said something about the lock or something like that on the pulleys that do not fit the pathfinder, so I am counting that mod out. I also ordered a greddy emanage ultimate so I can really get some power from all my mods and I am also looking at make it spin to higher RPMs, since the VQ35DE works best at high RPMs.

The y-pipe seet up will depend upon the cost of the headers and high flow cats installation, since I do not want to pay that much because later I will be paying for the emanage ultimate installation and tune.

My last dyno with K&N intake and muffler dynoed at 181.4 HP and I hope that the headers and high flow cats will add about 7-10hp if im lucky and then aim high to get the most HP from the emanage ultimate.

For those of you interested in a little more performance, my tuner told me that I could get a pressure regulator (instead of the emanage ultimate) and lower the air/fuel ratio to 13.1-13.5

• 2 months later...

My last dyno with K&N intake and muffler dynoed at 181.4 HP and I hope that the headers and high flow cats will add about 7-10hp if im lucky and then aim high to get the most HP from the emanage ultimate.

For those of you interested in a little more performance, my tuner told me that I could get a pressure regulator (instead of the emanage ultimate) and lower the air/fuel ratio to 13.1-13.5

any updates on this? i know its a dead thread but you seemed to be doing some cool stuff

How and why would you gut a cat...I bet that smells like ass too lol

Gutting the cats is a simple and cost effective way to make your vehicle pollute more, fail emissions, and in some cases, hurt fuel economy and performance because the ECU will be getting bad readings from the rear o2 sensors*.

Most modern cats have very good flow properties -- rivaling a straight section of pipe.

*: The ECU _does_ use the rear cats for fuel trim, even if only 1-5%, it will still affect performance and economy.