transfer case fluid question

Hey guys I have a quick question. I was changing my transfer case fluid today. It was my first time doing this I've always had it changed at a shop. so when I was changing it I took the filler plug out of the top, and the transfer case fluid came out of it probably about a half a quart. So it must have been over field from the shop that I took It to last. im thinking that's the case if so how thou the fluid would have drained out if they filled it... maybe :scratchhead: or do you guys have any ideas?? But then I drained out the old fluid and put in the new just to the top edge of the filler lip. Thank you and 1 more question could have overfilling it a half a quart damage the transfer case??

I guess another possibility is that there is a leak between your transfer case and transmission and the transmission fluid level was higher and leaked into the t-case... Maybe you don't want to think about that though, sorry!

This is very likely, If you have an MT because there is no rear seal on the MT, the fwd seal on the T-case and the mating surfaces is what keeps the the fluid in the MT.

could be that they just overfilled it. Are you sure it was half a quart, or just guessing? It is not abnormal to overfill, put down filling device, then install the fill plug. Not that the Transfercase takes a whole lot of fluid anyway. I bit overfilled wont hurt anything.