OEM manual hub question

JamesRich

Hey guys, I have a question on the factory manual hubs.

I found a set of 95 28 spline hubs and another member found a set of 27 splines so we swapped. The outsides of the hubs look identical but the insides are very different. I was thinking they would have been the same inside accept for the spline hole.

This is a picture of the two meshing gears in the 28 splines. The two gears are in a separate housing and are held together with a snap ring.

PhotoAug27102935AM.jpg

And here is a picture of the 27 splines. The outer gear doesn't come out of the main housing like the 28 spline version.

100_6227.jpg

The 27 splines look like all the pictures posted by other members on this forum, but I have never seen a pic like the 28 splines. The gears in the 28 splines are much bigger and should be alot stronger. Are these both factory nissan hubs? Did they build them beefier in the 28 spline version?

James

For vehicles with the manual hubs, the vehicles with the Z24i motor from 07/86 to 08/89 did have a different one than the vehicles with the V6 and manual hubs.

I would bet thats the difference right there.

I put an inquiry into Nissan to see if they can tell me how many splines each version had for confirmation, Ill let you know what they say.

The 27 spline ones that James has are from a '93 D21 with the KA24D. I know, I pulled them. :)

Ok that sorta confirms it then.

the D21 with the KA24 used the same manual hub from 08/89-07/93 that the Pathy with the Z24i used.

Rob, perhaps you know this. On the 28 splines that I got from James one of the inner components has a bad bearing. Its "usable", but by no means optimal. Does Nissan offer just that inner component for replacement?

Yes I show the pieces inside the housing are available seperate:

40252-32G01 CLUTCH ASSY, HUB

Nissan List: $99.52. I can do it at $72.85 if you so choose

This part shows still available from the main warehouse.

For vehicles with the manual hubs, the vehicles with the Z24i motor from 07/86 to 08/89 did have a different one than the vehicles with the V6 and manual hubs.

I would bet thats the difference right there.

I put an inquiry into Nissan to see if they can tell me how many splines each version had for confirmation, Ill let you know what they say.

The 28 splines in the picture above came from a 95 D21 with a 4 cylinder. So from 94 up they used the same hub for the 4 cyl and V6?

James

The 28 splines in the picture above came from a 95 D21 with a 4 cylinder. So from 94 up they used the same hub for the 4 cyl and V6?

James

I am gonna say yes, because obviously the 28 spline manuals exist, and every 4WD Hardbody driving around I see, I check the hubs. If I see a V6, its always a SE model, and it has auto hubs. My guess is that its 28 spline from 94-97 on the 4 cylinder.

Trogdor is correct. It was used on both 4cyl and V6

40250-S3900 HUB ASSY

production dates: 04/94-08/97

All 4WD D21U

With Rob's part number, look what I found.http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-hub-assy-free-running~40250-s3900.html Not much more than a set of warns.

James

With Rob's part number, look what I found.http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-hub-assy-free-running~40250-s3900.html Not much more than a set of warns.

James

I have always used courtesyparts.com for parts look up, but strangely that part number says no longer available. When you look them up manually though, they list at 275ish per side. If those are OEM 28 splines for Warn price, I wouldnt hesitate to buy OEM, heard nothing but good things about them.