back from the dead

BrianD

So...I bought this 98 Pathy for $500 a month ago - put an alternator and battery in it - it started (after 2 yrs of sitting) like it was never shut off...it runs great! (I changed the engine oil and filter before starting it) 230kms - the recalls have not been dun yet but the rust on the frame is almost nothing.

All the doors and rubber gaskets are like NEW!

It passed safety and E-test - I even has NEW brakes on it.

So far I have fixed:

Tons of little stuff and cleaned and cleaned it AAND...

All 4 window mouldings(rusted badly) I got from the wreckers $35

I got the rear wiper motor fixed with new brushes and it was seized too.$70..but now it blows fuses? Help!

I bought 4 new rims for it ...been spraying rust goo at it everywhere.

I also had a lower passenger side A arm ball joint replaced yesterday $120 + labour, cause the steering wheel was shaking on a long 100 km left turn - it still had a shake in the steering wheel so we put the rear tires on the front and Vise Versa and the shake is gone - Altho they look like new, I need 1 or 2 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 689 – P265/70R15 110S - any cost saving to be had here from anyone??

I ordered 2 new front fenders for it yesterday and chrome front bumper too (replacing the holey stuff)- waiting for the parts. Gotta cut out & replace the rusted stuff under the passenger doors too.

I'm looking for cheap rear corner chrome for it still as well.

I am trying to find out if I can repair my rusted out tranny lines better than the pc of rubber hose that is presently on there. The Japan Tsunami has new lines back ordered...

Can anyone give me sum advice? I also priced 2 rear shocks and was Shocked to find they want $85 + tax ea for them! Can any one save me sum $?

Gotta get the A/C fixed too.

I ordered vent visors too.

What's the best spark plugs for it - anything to save $ on fuel I can do?

Any advise with any or all of the above is welcome.

Change all the fluids?

I'm in Kitchener Ont Canada -

Thanx in advance - Brian

PS - I had a dream last night that I was a Muffler - I woke up exhausted haha!

I'm pretty much useless for most of what you're asking but the wiper motor... maybe I can help there. :D Because it's been sitting I would suspect the bushing where the wiper arm goes through the panel has gotten a little stiff (elements and disuse and whatnot). It, or the linkage in the door, may just need a little grease. There's also the chance that the rebuilt motor is still bad. (Poor lubrication, bad bushing from the seizing, cooked coils from trying to push a creaky linkage.) Worst case, pull one from the junkyard, see if that solves the problem, but I've found that a can of white lithium will get a lot of things going again.

And before you write off the rust as nothing, give it a couple good smacks with a hammer just to be sure. It should ring, not thud or deform. My dad and I thought that my WD's frame was only mildly rusty, until I found the holes. If there's body rust to the point of replacing panels, I'd give the chassis a very close look.

Also, this thread needs pics. :D

I'm pretty much useless for most of what you're asking but the wiper motor... maybe I can help there. :D Because it's been sitting I would suspect the bushing where the wiper arm goes through the panel has gotten a little stiff (elements and disuse and whatnot). It, or the linkage in the door, may just need a little grease. There's also the chance that the rebuilt motor is still bad. (Poor lubrication, bad bushing from the seizing, cooked coils from trying to push a creaky linkage.) Worst case, pull one from the junkyard, see if that solves the problem, but I've found that a can of white lithium will get a lot of things going again.

And before you write off the rust as nothing, give it a couple good smacks with a hammer just to be sure. It should ring, not thud or deform. My dad and I thought that my WD's frame was only mildly rusty, until I found the holes. If there's body rust to the point of replacing panels, I'd give the chassis a very close look.

Thanx man - I will check that out - How do I add pix?

Hey bryan...I am parting out a 97 pathy.....can get you some decent used parts until you can afford new ones... I have PMed you with what you were asking about in the above post.

Hey BrianD, where did you order your front fenders from? My driver side fender is shot.

Too bad you've ordered a new bumper, I've got a decent one in my garage.

I'm just one town over, in Guelph.

For pics I use photobucket. It's free to sign up. Upload your picture to PB, copy the IMG code (click where it says img code under "share this photo"), then paste into your post, and it'll show up. :)

Thanx _ I will try that!

Thanx - I took yer advice and been hitting it with a hammer in th ebad spots to see if I can make a hole - so far so good - - I am gonna get sum ??? oil/ under coating while I have the inner fender panels off and get this all coated before replacing them and then getting a major oil spray this fall. What's the best oil I can use at home for this?

Thanx bud.

Hey BrianD, where did you order your front fenders from? My driver side fender is shot.

Too bad you've ordered a new bumper, I've got a decent one in my garage.

I'm just one town over, in Guelph.

I got em from a friend of a friend in St.Thomas Ont ...(can't say) dealer for cost $128 - list is $179 - the new bumper was $79 - list $117 - the bumper ends were $36 - list $53 - add taxes to all of those prices - I got 2 new rear KYB OEM shox for $102 too.

I picked up a can of rubberized undercoat, it's basically just spray-on rubber. It should work pretty well so long as what's under it is dry and clean, otherwise it won't adhere well or it'll trap moisture. Maybe hit it with pressure sprayer, then let it sit for a few good hot days before laying the rubber. (I haven't looked into oil treatments, IIRC some of the guys here use them.)

Good to hear it's not rusted out. :) Every time my dad finds me working on mine, he says, if you found more rust, I don't want to hear about it. :deadhorse:

Close, you linked to the album. If you mouse over the picture, four boxes appear below it. Mouse over the lowest one, click it, and it'll say 'copied.' Then just post the code.

Like this:

Pathyrustbumpr3.jpg

IMG http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/briandrum1/98%20PATHFINDER/Pathyrustbumpr3.jpg /IMG

^^ It looks like this, but with brackets around the IMGs.