Timing belt install

OlBlue

Hi I just changed the cam seal on my 91. In the process of tightening the pulley bolt back on the RH pulley turned clockwise!

This was not part of the plan, the screwdriver I had wedged in to secure the pulley apparently didn't do the trick.

Question-What now? Can I turn the pulley by hand back into position so that the appropriate number of t-belt teeth are between the marks on the pulley without causing (further) damage?

I'd wait until you have the belt on with the tensioner backed all the way off, you should be able to rotate the sprocket back so the timing mark on it and the rear cover line up, then tension the belt a bit to let the teeth hold it in place. At this point, count the teeth between the timing marks from cam to cam and cam to crank to make sure everything is correct. I'm guessing it moved about 1/8 turn or so?? No harm done...

B

I'd wait until you have the belt on with the tensioner backed all the way off, you should be able to rotate the sprocket back so the timing mark on it and the rear cover line up, then tension the belt a bit to let the teeth hold it in place. At this point, count the teeth between the timing marks from cam to cam and cam to crank to make sure everything is correct. I'm guessing it moved about 1/8 turn or so?? No harm done...

B

Thanks, verymuch.I went back out to look for the ratchet I threw and figured out that was really the only option. You are right on, it jumped about 1/8th of a turn.

Time to get back at it!!

Thanks again I needed to bounce that off someone!

No worries, you are welcome. :beer:

There is a great write up or two pinned in the Garage/How To section that has details like this and the correct belt tooth count between the pullies/marks that is a good idea to read. Sorry, I can't recall the exact info and I don't want to steer you wrong.

LOL @ 'look for the ratchet I threw'. I understand, but don't get mad. It's too expensive replacing the tools and you are more likely to make a mistake. ;)

Good luck, she'll be running again in no time.

B

No worries, you are welcome. :beer:

There is a great write up or two pinned in the Garage/How To section that has details like this and the correct belt tooth count between the pullies/marks that is a good idea to read. Sorry, I can't recall the exact info and I don't want to steer you wrong.

LOL @ 'look for the ratchet I threw'. I understand, but don't get mad. It's too expensive replacing the tools and you are more likely to make a mistake. ;)

Good luck, she'll be running again in no time.

B

Hi I managed to turn the cam sprocket back so that I had 40 teeth between the two marks. replaced the belt, tensioner, seals and T-stat.

It is all back together now, unfortunately I will have to wait until I get the engine back in the vehicle to see if it works.

I will put the fly wheel and new clutch on tomorrow, and hopefully get the engine placed back in the vehicle.

PS I was kidding about the tool throwing...but it was close!!