New Guy Tire question and more

bammbritt

Hello everyone, first I want to thank you all for taking the time to and energy to post and provide such a wealth of knowledge and experience for people like myself. I have been a lurker for some time and I hope to repay my lurking ways in the future.

I have installed a OME lift, Heavy-Medium rear and Medium Front, KYB all around including mounts. I kind of wish I did HD all the way around or went with the AC 2" but we will see what happens after they settle, I might have them for sale in the future. :rolleyes: I also replaced the rear trailing arms, Dorfman from Amazon, like a 100 bucks each with free shipping. The truck rides better than when it was new, I really can't believe the difference, UNREAL. I have ordered the missing link and plan to put it in next week. Im taking a road trip to St Catharine's Canada so it will be interesting top see the difference from an 8 hour road trip without it and then 8 hours back with it, I will be sure to post.

I have 44,000 miles and plan to keep her a long time so I will keep doing upgrades, which brings me to my question. With my current setup, with the stock 17x8 rims, what is the max tire size I can go without spacers? The reason I went with the OME lift is that I didn't want t kill my MPG and have to change wheels, brake lines, etc. Im really not wanting to change my rims at this time, unless you think I would be much better off, maybe new wheels and AT tires for the winter? I did search and read everything about tires and sizing but Im still looking to see what has been done with a similar set-up as mine.

I have other questions but I think I will start a new post

OK Im rambling, again thanks for the info, you guys rock. Oh yea pictures, which hosting service should I use? flicker won't work thanks.

If you have 1.75" over stock height, then 31" equivalent tires should work (and still clear the strut). I ran 265/70/16 (30.7") BFG AT's with a 2" AC lift for 2.5 years with the stock rims then "upgraded" to a less backspace rim to widen the stance. I'm guessing you can find a tire size with a 17" rim that is close to this. I experienced only slight rubbing while backing up at full driver's lock. I still have pic's up of this setup on my profile page under "About Me" if you want to look.

If I did this lift over again, I would have sprung (pun totally intended) for some spacers for the front or new rims all-round and gotten some 32's.

I think there are a couple threads that go in to pretty good detail on this, but I understand not always getting the straight scoop on a topic after reading 14 pages of posts on something...

Oh yeah, my favorite multiuse tire is the Yokohama AT/S. They are wet/dry street compliant, decent rolling resistance, quiet, and I've personally seem them wheeled all over the Rockies and Moab.

Edited by Rick13

I have a 2 inch ac and I run 32/11.5/15 no problem but I also have rims with a larger backspacing...I think a 3.75 inch bs but I can't remember now

My only regret so far is not going with the 32's angry-smiley-174.gif

With your lift set up you should be able to run as big as 32's with possible rubbing while turning........ but that's a guess cuz I'm not sure what your back spacing is on your stock rims, if its more than or equal to 3.75 you should be just fine with clearance on the strut..

With your lift set up you should be able to run as big as 32's with possible rubbing while turning........ but that's a guess cuz I'm not sure what your back spacing is on your stock rims, if its more LESS than or equal to 3.75 you should be just fine with clearance on the strut..

NOT trying to be a jerk, totally understood your post, but wanted to make sure that we didn't confuse anyone.

The lower the number in backspacing the further the rim will be from the vehicle allowing for increased distance from the strut, but you may run in to other rubbing issues with the increased arc.

Again, sorry MAXEDpath, I know "tone" can't be read through forums and didn't want to sound like an a$$.

Here's one of the sites I referenced when I was researching rims: R&S Racing - Wheel Info if that helps any one.