New member saying hi

englishjim

Just bought a 1993 xe from a neighbor who managed to drive himself crazy with an engine swap. My neighbor bought a Japanese Domestic Motor and spent two years trying to get it started, couldnt get it running right and so he sold it to me because I was always around helping (his wifes threat of divorce was his inspiration). I have next to zero off road experience but I hope to build this car up with its former owner - all advice will be very greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you! really stoked. Just got the engine turning over - sounds like a bag of wrenches thrown down an elevator shaft. BUT it runs... vacuum leak and timing I presume.

its alive!

Welcome to the forums man. I can promise you this, if you can't get it running with the wealth of information that can be found on this board, then it will not be the pathfinders fault, it will be your literacy level. :new576: This place has got more information about Pathfinders then you could ever hope to know about. Show her some love, and she'll be good to you. Its a good idea to start with making sure the timing belt was installed correctly and not a tooth or 2 off. Check the how to sections and read up on changing the timing belt to get a heads up on what is entailed. Could be something else entirely but this is my guess. Others more knowledgeable then myself will likely chime in and provide some insight.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also.......

Get some Pictures up here pronto. :aok:

Edited by Dowser

Thanks for all the encouragement. Its very welcoming here. Its getting late so Ive had to stop tinkering, however first the good news -the rubber accordion that sits past the MAF has a large split and two cracks that I sealed with Shoe goo (all I had) and replaced the vacuum tubes with the window washer hose - and it runs much better. But still hot and rich with surges and an awful idle, so over the next week Im going to double check the nock sensor, fuel pressure, maf etc. But this was always going to be a bit of a struggle - after all its someone else's nightmare. On the positive side due to the cracks I think its time for a brand new cold air intake! I did check the timing belt by counting teeth, but it may have been off tdc as the pulley/balancer may have been reassembled incorrectly. on top of that its a japanese engine so there may be some compatibility issues there... I will do a write up with pictures later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnwIIKnWJtg

:itsallgood:

WELCOME TO NPORA!!

I had a JDM VG30 swapped into my 87 Hardbody about 15 years ago, and about a year ago bought another one to swap into my 94 Pathfinder, both ran great first time they were started, no difference's really between the JDM and the US engines unless the JDM engine came out of a car, than the fuel injection would be different than what is on the pathfinder. The engine I had swapped into my PF we didn't even replace the plugs or oil at first, all my guy did was swap the throttle body because mine had cruise and I had him replace the timing belt.

Hopefully what ever is causing yours to not run right will be something easy and cheap to fix. You have come to the right place, I would suggest downloading the FSM from here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/

, no PDF for a 93 but the 94 manual will cover everything just as well.

PICS !!!

Thanks Ahardbody - the sevice manual is saving me. I believe my o2 sensor is out seems to be connected but no flashing lights on the diagnostic and no responce... All the vacuume hoses were set up wrong, they were also torn, the accordian thing was cracked in even more places and is now a bundle of tape, the throttle body gasket was torn, the TPS was mis aligned and that was this morning before work. Lots of fun ahead it seems. Oh and it sounds like a spun bearind somewhere.

I will get there. Thank you everyone again