help with pre-cat passenger o2 sensor

351cleveland

Well as the title reads, i need help trying to remove my passenger pre-cat o2 sensor. I have no codes or anything, but shortly after doing my spark plugs a while back, i just cant seem to regain my once good/fair gas mileage and good power. I went from 17-18.6 mpg to 14.5-15.5 mpgs. I know the pre-cat o2 sensors have to do with air fuel mixture readings, and bad or warn-out sensors can cause increased fuel consumption, and relatively poor performance. I have both. My car still feels as it sputters, or struggles especially going up any kind of incline. I also did already replace the drivers o2 sensor pre-cat with no difficulties. It just seems impossible to get to the passenger side one as too much stuff is in the way to turn the ratchet once i finally got it on there. I had to remove three coolant tubes that are just to the left and behind the valve cover and i.m. on that side. I know i probably need a special socket adapter or something that can reach it at an angle and turn it. Anyone that has had success doing this, please let me know what your solution was. Also i have already replaced my MAF sensor, air filter with k/n drop in, and did the power valve screws. Also cleaned the throttle body and power valves. Car has 130k miles. And should i just take it to the dealer to have the ecu re-flashed? Seems to be a must when changing o2 and MAF sensors.

Yeah i was thinking about using a wrench. Still didnt think when i pb blasted them, that i gave it enough time to do its thing. Especially trying to pry at it with a wrench. I will probably attempt this again this weekend, and make sure to do the pb blast the night before. Did you have to remove or move those three coolant hoses out of the way to get to it as i reffered to in the original post? I struggled to get those spring clamps off, and i actually bent one and had to tweak it back in a vice. I literally was fighting just to get my hand even close to the sensor down there, with the transmission tube sticking out, and all of those hard-line tubing attached the inside of the engine compartment. Just seems impossible to get a "turn" out of it once i got the socket-wrench attached to the o2 socket.