Airing down.

JamesRich

I run 25psi on the street and 15psi on the trail. My KOs are getting bald so I tried dropping to 12psi at Elbe a couple trips ago. I had marginally better traction but ended up with crap between the inner and outer beads on all four tires. Ended up breaking all the beads, cleaning them, and re-seating them with my tire machine in the following week due to slow leaks. At 15psi I rarely have bead leak issues, maybe one tire every five or six trips will have a slow leak after. With our kind of wheeling being tight forest trails with lots of jagged roots and pointy rocks the way I see it is this: At 15psi if I knock a bead off whatever caused it would have torn the sidewall out at street pressure. The lower the pressure you run the lower the chance of tire damage, at least down to 12psi or so on a Pathy. At 12psi I can't flex a tire far enough to pinch the sidewall between a rim and rock, even with the truck teetering on two wheels. That is, of course, doing things slow and elegant. If you back up and hammer down through stuff I would not go lower than 15psi. On sand I'd probably run as low as 10psi. You have so little lateral grip and few or no hard obstacles that I can't see knocking a bead off very easily. The only thing I'd watch is how hot the tires get if you run with any speed. I limit my speed to 30mph at 15psi and the sidewalls just get warm to the touch. The occasional short blast to 50mph hasn't seemed to hurt the tires any. :whistle:

Edit to add: The lower the air pressure you run the more your tires will flex to match the terrain, the more traction you will have, and the less trail damage you will cause. :aok:

Edited by Mr.510

Not sure if you've ever looked into this option or not But I'm a SCUBA diver and I know you can get some adapters for them to use a Air tool Quick connect. A steel tank can hold around 3000 psi. The only issue I'm not sure of is who fills it. Obviously if you were to want to fill it as a Diver you would just go to the dive shop and have them fill it but you need a dive license for that. I've never bothered to look anywhere else to see who can fill to that PSI. The reason they require filling at a dive shop is becaiues you don't use the same kind of air that a compressor usually puts out for diving. (incase you didnt know that)

Edited by Dowser

Not sure if you've ever looked into this option or not But I'm a SCUBA diver and I know you can get some adapters for them to use a Air tool Quick connect. A steel tank can hold around 3000 psi. The only issue I'm not sure of is who fills it. Obviously if you were to want to fill it as a Diver you would just go to the dive shop and have them fill it but you need a dive license for that. I've never bothered to look anywhere else to see who can fill to that PSI. The reason they require filling at a dive shop is becaiues you don't use the same kind of air that a compressor usually puts out for diving. (incase you didnt know that)

Around here you need to be certified to rent or fill a tank. We looked into that yesterday actually, my dad bought a benjamin marauder air rifle. You charge it to 3000 psi with a hand pump, quite a work out for a 64 year old man. He has the option of filling it with a scuba tank if he can get one.

I have a CO2 bottle setup I used with a tank to run an impact but it's a pain in the butt always wondering how much the bottle has left and having to go get them filled.

James