Striped transmission fill plug

spazman

Anyone have a trick on how to get a fill plug out that has the [] on the inside of the plug partially stripped? It's stuck in there good and looks like the PO had maybe tried to change the fluids and stripped it a little. I can still get some bite, just don't want to risk stripping it completely.

If you can't get it out nicely, just use something like this. I had to use one of these on one of my old cars because I had over tightened and stripped the drain plug. It worked great!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dorman-AutoGrade-1-2-to-3-4-in-or-M12-to-M18-universal-oil-drain-plug/_/N-25r9?counter=8&filterByKeyWord=drain+plug&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=149993_0_0_

Anyone have a trick on how to get a fill plug out that has the [] on the inside of the plug partially stripped? It's stuck in there good and looks like the PO had maybe tried to change the fluids and stripped it a little. I can still get some bite, just don't want to risk stripping it completely.

You could try welding something to it. Try searching. I seem to recall a previous discussion or two on this.

Definitely try using some PB Blaster or Kroil or something to help loosen up the plug before doing anything to it. A large breaker bar with maybe some tape wrapped around the head helps too, I've read. Applying heat is another option. I ran into the plug issue with my rear diff, eventually the fill plug started to deform. I bought new drain & fill plugs and had Nissan do the job for $25 (I supplied new OEM plugs and my own fluid - ultimately it costed probably around $75). There seems to be some sort of tape in the threads of the fill plug now, so hopefully it'll be easier for me to remove at 150k when I do another drain & fill.

Edited by Towncivilian

I'm assuming you mean the 1/2 drive on the inside is stripped out a little? Thats how mine was when I brought it home and started to change the diffs, transfer case etc. I tried PB Blaster, and even wrapped tape around my 1/2 breaker bar head so it would fit more snug. I started to think it was cross threaded to go along with the rounded off hole. Plus it had been tightend by a gorilla or a impact wrench. I finally gave up and took it to a local transmission shop. He spent 50 minutes using one of the biggest baddest easy outs I have ever seen, but he finally got it. Said it was the worst one he ever dealt with.I brought my new plug I bought from Nissan and my Redline, and he put the new plug in and changed out my fluid. I try not to admit defeat, but I happily gave him 30 bucks.

yeah the 1/2 in drive on the inside, not the threads. I'm not the best at describing things so other people know what I'm talking about (at least that's waht the wife says)...

I am officailly accetping defeat, not normal for me but I'm out fo gas in my welder, the damn thing won't even so much as budge so I guess we'll see if a shop can get it off for me. Dang.

Good luck with that! I have the same problem only mine is the drain plug. I finally gave up and used a small hand pump to suck all the oil out through the fill plug. You could just drain yours and then put 5 qts through the shift tower like we have to do with our WD21.

James

Good luck on getting it out. Use antisieze or teflon tape on the threads on the new one. If you have a propane torch, MAPP gas works wonders. Let us know how it goes.