Coolant leak?

jdespain

I have used the search function but have not found an answere that suits my question. I have a 1994 Pathfinder SE, 3.0, 4X4. For the past couple of weeks, I have been plagued with an intermittant coolant leak that appears to be coming from above the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. Cannot see anything from the top. :shrug: This is my first Nissan, so I am not sure of what sensors/etc. are located where yet. I have not had any issues with over heating. (Ex:)I can drive it to my parent's house and it will leak a spot @ the size of a paper plate; but get right in it and drive it home and it won't leak.? I have not had the chance yet to really get in there to look good. Any suggestions? Any common problems to be aware of? Thanks very much in advance.

I'm not that familiar with your engine (or body style for that matter) but, have you checked the coolant lines that feed your heater core? They will more than likely go through the fire wall in the area that you are describing. I just had to replace the core in my Miata and had a similar issue because I did not seat one of the hose clamps properly. You may also want to check the hoses for small cracks.

Yes, I have checked the heater hoses (forgot to mention that in original post). I can see nothing from valve cover area. My gut tells me it might be a head gasket :thumbsdown: . I was just hoping to hear that there might be something else simpler, easier, cheaper, and less time consuming. I can hope, right?

The 90 degree bend hose on the front near the thermostat? The coolant pipe that runs in the "valley" (under the intake manifold)?

Edit: oops misread your post.. if it is coming from the exhaust manifold area, well, sounds lame, and not what I just suggested. Hope it's not the head gasket...

Edited by sewebster

Thanks, I will be looking at that. The area I described is where I can see the best (for now) until I can tear into it. It appears to be running down into this area. That sounds like a ray of hope.

There are some coolant lines back there that go into the intake plenum and another that runs through the cylinder valley (can't remember why right now) but it could be one of those hoses. Pretty much a pita to get to...

I recommend trying to locate it before you just tear into it though. One way is to dust the drip trail with talcum powder so you can see fresh leaks and try to trace it back, another is to have a shop (or someone with a pressure cap) to pressure test the system, basically try to cause the leak when the engine is cold and you can look/poke/prod safely.

Good luck, I hate any intermittent problem!!

B

I am going to sound dumb.......is that something I can do myself? The only cooling issues I have ever had in the past was radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, common issues that you could actually see. I plan to start on this this week.

yes go to autozone and get a bottle of uv coolant dye and the light it comes as a kit i believe then get a coolant pressure tester from sears and performe a pressure test hell you may get lucky and actually hear the leak as it starts to push water out if your quiet as you presurize the system