wont start

1990pathy

well im not putting in the manual tranny yet.. because i still need to teach my girl how to drive a stick.... so untill then the auto will stay in.. i got the starter off. oil filter, and exhuast manifold off.. i even tried to air hammer a 13mm socket on and still stripped out.. im stummped

I don't think that the bracket has any thread on it. If you grind the head off you might be able to just take the bracket off at that point. You could check the other holes and see if they have any thread on them.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *think* that if you remove the wheel, inner fender lining, and maybe a few other little things you can get in there with a dremel tool and a cut off disk. Taking the head off will remove the tension and the bracket will pop off. The bracket it's self is not threaded.

does anyone know what size the exhuast studs and bolts are.. both the ones that screw into the head, and the 3 bigger ones that hold the y pipe on, thanks

The exhaust manifold studs are M8... but it is a good idea to upgrade them to the M10x1.25 studs used in the VG33 and others because the M8 ones always break. For the y-pipe, do you mean the studs on the outlet of the exhaust manifold? I believe those are M10x1.25 on one side and M10x1.5 on the other... weird studs! Dealer should have all this stuff...

so i got the stripped bolt out with a bole extractor.. and just going to drill out the one broken stud in the head and it looks like i need to grind the exhuast manifold down even again cause it tetters on the head .. it is uneven.. pooo

It's got nothing to do with power, but a leaking exhaust manifold can burn up valves and I doubt you'll want that in addition to the other list of problems.

ya no bueno!!!!! my cherry picker broke so im at a stand still.. the dam piston on the bottle jack snapped..when it rains it pours.. and it pouring down rain right now too...where the hell is summer at//

so i got the exhuast manifolds millled down because they were warped..and will be pulling the old motor tomorrow..im just glad to almost be done...ughh.....

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some 10MM exhaust studs fitted to your heads while the new engine is out. You'll never have to worry about them breaking.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some 10MM exhaust studs fitted to your heads while the new engine is out. You'll never have to worry about them breaking.

so what would need to be done then? drilling the threads and re tapping?

so what would need to be done then? drilling the threads and re tapping?

Yup. I believe the oem VG33 studs are 10x1.25 so you might want to go with that and then just hit up the dealer. There is stuff on the board about this, try the search too.

ok so i have the motor ready to come out..where the hell do i strap the motor to, i cant fine any place to hook the cherry picker too in the back????? help

ok so i have the motor ready to come out..where the hell do i strap the motor to, i cant fine any place to hook the cherry picker too in the back????? help

anywhere you can on the engine block. I actualy built a cradle out of heavy duty strap. HTH