removing intake manifold from '91 Terrano TD27T

shasdakota

hi guys,

i'm having some trouble removing the intake manifold from my '91 Terrano TD27T. I cant seem to find any info on removing the intake manifold from the Terrano. ehow.com has a discription about removing the Pathfinder intake manifold, but thats different from mine, so i'm gonna need Terrano owners to chime in i think.

it seems like theres a bunch of stuff in the way. i cant access a lot of the bolt heads. it seems like maybe the cylinder head needs to be pulled or the fuel injectors at least. Just hoping to get some feedback cause i really dont want to have to remove more than i really need to. i'm new to tinkering with my engine, and i could be just missing something.

i've been having some exhaust smoke problems. i've always had the black smoke, but recently i started seeing some blue. i had my mechanic look at my truck, at he said i should pull the intake manifold and give it a good clean to remove the carbon build up.

he also recomend that if i were to un-connect my PCV hose that leads to my air filter housing, that recirculates exhaust fumes back through my intake, it would help. so i pulled it and lengthened the hose so it can hang down into my engine bay and vent into the atmosphere, and it made a major difference. i dont see any blue smoke anymore. and i dont have any black smoke while my engine is cold. but once it heats up, i start seeing black exhaust smoke again, probably from the built up residues and carbon in my intake manifold, and internals. once i clean it out, as long as i have this hose disconnected, it shouldnt build back up. i just need to place a filter on the end of it so as not to pollute. i'll get some pics up soon. for anyone having difficulties in this area, this is a great mod. my mechanic said i could also design a "seperator tank" so i can re-route the exhaust gases back into air filter housing and onto my intake after it seperates the oily residues and carbon it picks up along the way. but i think i'll just go with the filter option. K&N makes a nice little filter for the pcv hose on bikes that should fit perfect. my neighbour showed it to me.

after i clean out my intake manifold, i think i'll try something like seafoam in my crankcase to see if it cleans anything internally. if i didnt have a diesel, i would try adding it direct to a vacuum line while the trucks running, but its very easy to hydrolock a diesel engine, and they dont recomend it, even though i've heard you can do it you go slowly. i dont want to risk it.

so if anyone can help me get my intake manifold off, i would be eternally grateful.

i'll try and get some pics up soon.

thanks guys...

well, i think i have to remove the fuel injection tube assembly. my manual doesnt have any directions for either of these tasks. can i just remove the injection tube assembly, or do i have to do anything first. i know i read about removing the fuel injectors themselves, and their was a process to it. i dont think i will have to remove the fuel injectors themselves this time, but i still dont know if there's any process to follow?

also, there's 2 electrical connections on top of the intake manifold. i've figured out how to seperate them from one side, but the other side also has wires coming from it, and i cant seem to figure out how to disconnect it. i dont want to break anything. if anyone knows what i'm talking about, please chime in. i'll get pictures up tommorrow or sometime soon if i cant figure it out or i dont get any help.

and speaking of that air/oil seperator tank i was talking about in my first post, i just ordered one off ebay. i was gonna just get a K&N crankcase vent filter, but it was $20, and i got this seperator tank for $35 with shipping. I also read those little filters arent actually street legal, and they get clogged fast. this seperator should work better, and be better for the environment. now i just have to see if i'll ever get it, seeing as how our postal service is on strike in canada right now...

anyways, here it is:

http://www.proautoluxury.com/img/items/GrayElephant/Done/RT-OCT-C-RD-1.gif

by the way, i've come to the conclusion my Nissan TD27T manual is severely lacking. i also have the Haynes Pathfinder manual, but that doesnt help me a whole lot, especially inside the engine bay. what are you Terrano owners using? The only manual i could find for my truck was the TD27T manual. is there such thing as a Nissan Terrano service manual? I have the little Terrano manual for the glove box, but i'm not talking about that. i mean a big service manual like what Haynes makes for the Pathfinder. if anyone has a link, please post it, cause i cant find anything on-line....

thanks

Its easy enough to do, If i remember correctly you dont even have to move injector lines, Just undo all the bolts, take the intake pipe off that comes over the rocker cover off, and pull its out.

hey u13turbo,

thanks for trying to help. i cant get acces to several bolt heads. the fuel injector tubes are in the way. i'll take pictures later if i cant get it off today...

unless i just have to get at it from underneath? i'm gonna jack it up or try out my new ramps today and have a look...

Edited by shasdakota