6 or 7 pin trailer wiring

skulptr

so my 4 flat signal converter is toast, literally. it got so hot it melted out the side of it, and now all i have is running/tail lights. so, since my honda has a 6 pole for its flat tow package, i'm going to just delete the converter and go either 6 or 7 pole. can anyone tell me what it involves? i know the converter is supposed to have a power wire run to it so the trailer lights arent running on stock wiring, but i only have 6 wires going into it. 2 from each side, then the 2 going out to the 4 flat plug. the running lights wire is already been bypassed. i know someone has done this on an r50 already, but he hasnt logged in since august 09. if someone has just the wire color for the signals, i should be able to get the rest. i'm running a lawn business now, and having to signals on the trailer is not going to fly.

What sort of trailer is this? Generally trailers that have brakes / batteries need a 6 or 7 pole plug. I wouldn't say that the signal lights run off the aux power though. They may still use power from the signal wires.

The difference is that a 7 pole includes a brake wire (from the brake controller), back-up lights and a 12v constant.

When I wired up my 4-pole on my R50, I used relays on all the circuits. I also had to buy the converter to get the brake lights together.

Anyway, if you think you'll ever need to pull a trailer with brakes, I would go for the 7 pole and just run adapters off that. I like the round plugs because the terminals are protected (unlike having a flat-4 hanging in the air).

That's another reason we will eventually be getting a large trailer and wheni flat to the honda it will have power and brake assist. Plus having that plug covered will help since I've corroded 5 plugs since I owned it

Far different then our ford, but on it, the wire color was yellow which was Signal/Auxillary and brakes were brown ( You can run brakes off a 6 pole, just have to add it into Auxillary)but not recomended . if your going to be pulling a trailer with trailer braks. i'd strongly reccomend getting 7 pole. Less load on each wire.

Well I've got the 7 pole plug now with the spring door and all now, but my taillight converter melted and I have no power coming out of it. Any one know where I can get one that is powered instead of solid state like it came with? I only have web on my phone so its hard to shop around

Just run a relay off the wires coming out of the converter. Take the load off the converter entirely.

Also check your trailers for shorts (and put a fuse between the converter and the trailer).

The converter has nothing coming from the trailer side of it. The internals of the converter are melted. I can stick my finger in the hole melted in the side of it. I'm going to the jy today to grab as many as I can find.

On another note, I wired in the 7 pin plug and repaired the rest of my wiring that's been getting chewed up off road. Looks new, except for the converter. I will post up pics and labels of the wires that come from the truck to the converter, so the r50 will finally have a little more referance material.