Which Warn?

02silverpathy

Hi guys i know that this is a topic well talked about but for my 98 pathy does the price of $124.90 a set sound correct for the warn premium hubs for my truck?

Also how long of an install is this..i can't seem to find this for the R50 model through out the site..could i estimate it would take as long as repacking the hubs?

And last but not least, does anyone know the correct Warn part number, so that i make sure to order it for the right truck?

Thanks for being patient with a noob!! :bow:

Warn has their catalog online on their website, I'd go there to verify the part#. If I remember right that price sounds pretty good. If you've never worked on your hubs before I'd give it 2-3 hours, if you've worked on your hubs before I'd give it about 1-1.5 hours. Just make sure to use a torque wrench and get that snap ring installed correctly at the end. Very easy install.

To get the part# click on My Vehicle in the link:

http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/premium_hubs.shtml

that's the going price ($125) I bought direct from Warn.

I ended up having my mechanic do the install, because I was actually struggling instantly with the dust caps. Those things were rusted ON and I beat the hell out of 'em to get them off. Then the bolts were siezed, so I didn't want to make it worse, and admitted an early defeat.

A real mechanic did it in about 90 minutes.

There used to be a link on Dean Thayer's website on installing the hubs, but when I just checked it it didn't connect. see www.xplorx4.com

m.

That installation isn't quite the same as the R50's. As for why you'd want warn's, they reduce wear and tear on the front drivetrain and can help mileage by freeing up the CV shafts and such up there. They are also stronger than the stock units. And you can still use the shift on the fly 4wd if you just leave the hubs locked, it doesn't harm the drivetrain :D

That link wasn't exactly correct for 1996+ R50s. The reason many folks change to Warn hubs on the second gen pathys is to lessen the wear and tear on the front drivetrain. I'm still a bit confused on the specifics of the model years, but my understanding is the 97s automatic hubs require the front driveline to be engaged all the time. Not under load, as in 4wd, but still spinning, which contributes to wear and costs maybe 1 mpg.

As I said, I'm still a bit confused... so anyone have the specifics?

I installed the Warns partly due to this wear and tear issue, but more purely for strength. I had an interesting experience in Colorado when my 87 4Runner (auto hubs) decided to no longer engage, when I was in the backcountry. It forced an immediate retreat and made the route a challenge in 2wd. I was lucky and made it out, but haven't trusted auto hubs since.

As for the stopping to get out and lock the hubs - two thoughts here. First off, you can simply lock the Warn hubs and the pathy will work just like you have auto hubs. You don't have to stop, just shift on the fly like the stock set-up. If your hubs are not locked, of course, you will not engage 4wd until they are. I live in Maine - I lock the hubs at the first snow and unlock them in the spring. For interstate travel I usually unlock them, weather permitting.

But ya know, isn't the whole "Gettin' out to lock in the hubs" kinda fun anyway? It's like a right of passage, when the pavement ends and you're heading into the backcountry and it's time to pull over, breath in the view, double check the maps, grab a cold one an head out - with the hubs locked and loaded. I really never saw going to manual hubs as an inconvenience.

m.

Thanks for clearing up this hubs thing. I wish it made more than a 1 mpg difference to switch to the locking hubs-that would make it more interesting to me. Although the wear and tear thing is something to contemplate. Thanks again.

mick

Um, yeah, I know it wasn't "exactly correct" for r50s... but it was exactly correct because it had the discussion about why manual hubs are better, different ways to use them, etc. :P

my bad, I didn't read all the way down, just the top part :rolleyes: And Herm, the R50's don't have automatic hubs, they have drive flanges, or full time hubs, which is why the front end CV's and such are constantly engaged (I think this is why shift on the fly 4wd is something R50's can do...). So the manual hubs replace that drive flange and allow the front end to be disengaged ;)