JDM VG30i?

bmcgawain

So I purchased a used engine yesterday. The company told me it was a actually an engine from japan with a guaranteed mileage under 80,000. One year unlimited mileage warranty too. Not too bad I thought.(updates when it gets here)

Anyway, the question I have is what exactly are the differences of a "jdm" vg30i v.s. the 'us' vg30i? Are there any? I couldn't find any literature on it...

1/87 or 4/87 production date (a&b or w series)

JDM vs USDM VG30

JDM VG30's bolt right up, they may or may not have a slighly longer duration cam wich makes highway driving more pleasant but with no loss in bottom end power.

Accessory drive may be different but you can swap over your old parts for that. Everyting else is the same.

Be sure to;

change ALL the seals; RMS, FMS, Cam seals and rear cam cover plates

Change the Timing belt

pull the vlave covers and oil pan (oil pan seal) to examine the rockers to get an idea of the condidtion of the oil system. It may need a good flush.

lots of JDM engines come over here with low mileage but nobody over there seems to take care of an engine that they will only have for less than 60k (mileage tax)

MY1PATH is right, make sure to check the seals or change it if you prefer.

My engine is from Japan as well, the valve cover is leaking, but I think it was just the fact that the valve cover screws were loose(Ill find out over time).

Other than that, the engine is in perfect order.

Good luck with yours.

These are great suggestions. I already called my Nissan dealership to order the rear main and front main as well as 4 cam seals. My engine that is blown has a like new Nissan water pump and Nissan timing belt that were only 6,000 miles old when the head gasket blew. So I guess all I have left is a 300zx oil pump swap and a quick inspection inside the pan. I really hope this engine is in good shape!

The first JDM engine I bought for my 87 hardbody had a few differences between any US engine I saw. The intake manifold was different, The engine I bought had to come out of a rear wheel drive car or truck as it had a belt driven fan on it, and I looked at all the US based rear wheel drive engines and none had the intake that this engine had. The belts were ribbed belts and the 87 Hardbody had "V" groove belts. I know my mechanic back than who did the swap for me had to swap the valve covers over from the original engine. We decided not to mess with the harmonic balancer on the JDM engine ( that was the problem on the stock engine twice), so I had to find a power steering pulley that I could use on my D21's pump, ended up getting one from a junkyard that was labeled from a 300ZX, had an aftermarket alternator and got that ribbed pulley from an auto electric shop. Also had to swap the oil pan. The JDM engine was spotless inside and out my mechanic was impressed when he first saw it. And after he was all done the truck felt like it ran better than new and I was running 33's at the time.

What is the benefit to installing a 300zx oil pump? Higher flow/psi?

It is my understanding that they offer a higher flow rate. I think its a 20% flow rate increase over the stock pathfinder pump.

Anyone else on here know more information about this?

What is the benefit to installing a 300zx oil pump? Higher flow/psi?

Are you asking from what I mentioned about using the pump from a 300Zx? Because the 300zx pump I refereed to was for the power steering, I have read in the past that the 300zx produces more oil pressure though.

Just looked on Rockauto.com for a 87 and 94 Nissan pickup oil pump,Beck Arnley part number, they list all the VG30's RWD to use the same oil pump this includes, pickups (86-94),maxima (85-94), Infiniti M30 (90-92), 300ZX (84-89), 200SX (87-88), Quest (93-95), the oil pumps listed for 4WD are just used in 4WD vehicles.

of course the VG30DE uses a totally different oil pump design

Are you asking from what I mentioned about using the pump from a 300Zx? Because the 300zx pump I refereed to was for the power steering, I have read in the past that the 300zx produces more oil pressure though.

Just looked on Rockauto.com for a 87 and 94 Nissan pickup oil pump,Beck Arnley part number, they list all the VG30's RWD to use the same oil pump this includes, pickups (86-94),maxima (85-94), Infiniti M30 (90-92), 300ZX (84-89), 200SX (87-88), Quest (93-95), the oil pumps listed for 4WD are just used in 4WD vehicles.

of course the VG30DE uses a totally different oil pump design

I thought the turbo 300zx had the higher flow oil pump. Maybe I am confused. I need to read more about those. Guess I really dont need to mess with it. The stock pump will be fine as it was designed for the engine. Guess I just like the sound of more oil pressure :happy:

not sure of the specs butrockauto.com doesn't have a listing for the twin turbo oil pump for some reason, but I just looked in Nissan Fast and the TT oil pump was only used on the TT engine

I thought the turbo 300zx had the higher flow oil pump. Maybe I am confused. I need to read more about those. Guess I really dont need to mess with it. The stock pump will be fine as it was designed for the engine. Guess I just like the sound of more oil pressure :happy:

no, the turbo z31

Z31Ts do have higher flowing oil pumps. The highest flowing is from the '84-'89 300ZX Turbo when fitted with an automatic transmission. There are a couple downsides to running one of these pumps in a Pathy. One is increased parasitic drag since you do not actually need the extra flow. The other is that 4x4 models use a different oil pump casting that is much heavier duty and fits with the special 4x4 lower timing belt cover. This oil pump housing and cover are designed to keep mud and other debris from getting to the timing belt and gears. They are also much more 'bash worthy' for those stray rocks that decide to roll around in the engine bay.