Transmission jumping out of 3rd gear

JamesRich

I know there was a thread about this but I can't find it! :angry: My trans jumps out of third gear sometimes, it's worse when pulling a trailer. If I hold it in gear and accelerate and let off it feels like something is pushing on the shifter. It doesn't have this feeling in any other gear. Could a motor mount be bad letting the motor tilt up and something push on the shifter? I don't have a body lift so I can't see much under there. Truck only has 113K trans shouldn't have problems yet.

James

Defiantly check the motor and trans mounts...if it is a MM would be a good time to think about some HD replacements like RuggedRocks makes (im waiting till i need them or replace the motor to get in a purchasing mood personally)

Defiantly check the motor and trans mounts...if it is a MM would be a good time to think about some HD replacements like RuggedRocks makes (im waiting till i need them or replace the motor to get in a purchasing mood personally)

Hey James,

Sounds like your 3rd gear syncro is worn out. Not sure on the relationship or if it's a 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th syncros, but usually when the transmission jumps out of gear when you lift off the throttle or unload the gear cluster it's a worn or broken syncro. Especially if your having to hold it in gear.

Keith

Mine pops out of 4th if I'm off the throttle. I thought it was a broken dog gear or whatever they're called. So yours pops out when you are OFF the throttle or ON? Mine will not come out if I'm on the gas. I plan to get the transmission rebuilt or replaced because it's annoying (and it squeals in 3rd and 5th too).

Sewebster,

Have you tried adding the extra oil to the transmission as per the TSB ? I dded about an extra 2 pints if I remember correctly and it quieted down considerably. I was using Mobil 1 GL 5 I think, and switched to red Line Synthetic GL 4 as per the factory recommendations. Made a HUGE difference and saved me from pulling the tranny.

Sewebster,

Have you tried adding the extra oil to the transmission as per the TSB ? I dded about an extra 2 pints if I remember correctly and it quieted down considerably. I was using Mobil 1 GL 5 I think, and switched to red Line Synthetic GL 4 as per the factory recommendations. Made a HUGE difference and saved me from pulling the tranny.

Yeah, I emptied the metal filled old stuff and put in 5 quarts (most I could get in via tipping the truck and almost the full amount) of Redline MT90 but I don't think it did much. Probably too far gone. I bet the low fluid was the problem that caused my 3rd and 5th issues, but the 4th gear popping out is something actually broken I think.

I can almost live with it, but my wife wants to learn to drive a manual and this is not the best learning situation :) It's hard to shift sometimes too, not sure if that is related. Mostly hard to get into 1st.

Edited by sewebster

Hey James

quoted the wrong person there bud, unless you were trying to hint something at me :lol:

If so my suggestion was out of experience, I had a HB that the trans mount was bad and you could feel the whole shifter move when you would smack the gas and 3rd was the first gear it would start throwing it out of... I ignored t to the point it would actually drop the shifter out of any of the "top" gears (took a motor mount with it in the process). Problem disapeared after changing the mounts though (though the transmission did have a bad synchro for 4th)

I was wrong, I can feel the shifter jumping when I accelerate and let off in 1st gear too. I never kept it in 1st long enough to notice before. In 5th gear I can't feel anything but thats probably because the motor doesn't have enough power the lift in high gear. I doubt it's a synchronizer because all they do is line up the gears when shifting, it shifts fine. Usually when the dog ears are worn it will pop out under load. Mine will only pop out when I let up on the gas or sometimes when I give it gas after down shifting. I will have to stop driving it for a while anyway. The pilot bushing is starting to squeal all the time now instead of just when it's cold. I was hoping it would hold out till I was ready to change the motor. Now I don't know if I want to step up the building the 3.3 or just pull the tranny to change the pilot bushing.

After just putting $1200 worth of tires on my titan I don't have the funds for headers and cams for the 3.3 so I'll probably just pull the trans. While I'm at it I will check the motor and trans mounts. Probably just change them anyway being they are 24 years old. Hopefully I can find whats causing this to maybe help someone else down the road.

James