easiest way to pull the motor in my 93 4X4

jose93

trying to pull the motor in my 93 4x4, followed instructions in the Hayne's manual and droped the diff so it rests on the crossmember...still not enough clearance. wondering if i remove drive shafts and get the transmission loose, can i move it back enough to get the engine out without actually droping the trans? trying to avoid messing with linkage, torsion bars....ect. does anyone have some good advice for me?

Edited by jose93

The FSM says to remove the transmission from the vehicle. Page EM-39 for my 91 manual. I've never done it that way... I removed the engine before I got the FSM... what I did was drop the t-bars and remove the cross member. I left the front diff in place. If you haven't taken the rad and fan out yet that might give you some more wiggle room (required for FSM procedure, I removed the rad but not the fan). FSM also says to remove the hood, but I kinda doubt that is really necessary.

I didn't touch the torsion bars or transmission, but I dropped the diff and removed the radiator. It all came out smooth as silk, same with going back in.

The FSM says to remove the transmission from the vehicle. Page EM-39 for my 91 manual. I've never done it that way... I removed the engine before I got the FSM... what I did was drop the t-bars and remove the cross member. I left the front diff in place. If you haven't taken the rad and fan out yet that might give you some more wiggle room (required for FSM procedure, I removed the rad but not the fan). FSM also says to remove the hood, but I kinda doubt that is really necessary.

thanks for the help

taking the hood offf makes things easier. rad out. the front diff neeeds to come out, i tried to avoid this as i had the engine on the hook of a picker ready to come out. unless you cut off the bottom of the oil pan or remove it and the oil pick up it will not clear. lesson learned, with the diff out you have room to wiggle and shove when its time to mate the engine(little tricky) to the trans. you can leave the trans in place but loose on the mounts again for wiggle. have fun with those exhaut studs (shudder).

I recall pulling my engine and tilting the front up. I had to jack up the tranny a little bit to get the right angle to slide the engine up and out. Definately take the rad out. Even if you don't need the extra room, it's so easy to damage, why take the chance?

I didn't touch the torsion bars or transmission, but I dropped the diff and removed the radiator. It all came out smooth as silk, same with going back in.

i would definitely try that method first if i had to pull the motor with the trans out

just don't forget thosed damned bolts on the top of the bell housing. I couldn't figure out why mine wouldn't come apart... then I looked again and I had missed a bolt. :headwall: