clutch

Maybe someone can help me...I changed my slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, but my pedal still stays down and hard to shift into gear. It also stays in gear when clutch pedal is pressed. 1988 pathfinder 5spd 4x4 azdevil1981@yahoo.com

I agree. And then make sure the hydraulic 'damper' on the passenger side fire wall is not causing problems. They have a tendency to trap air in the system and not allow a good bleed. If you cant get a solid, firm pedal afetr bleeding the slave cylinder, and your sure the clutch M/C is good. You can bypass the damper with a appropriate sized union bolted into the solid hydraulic line coming down the passenger side fire wall.

I had a similar problem like this on my Nissan Pickup 1989, I bled the system thinking it'd fix it, but come to find out I made it worse, the Clutch Damper ended up being fully clogged after I tried to bleed it. I had to fully bypass it with a new line straight from the Clutch Master Cylinder to the Clutch Slave Cylinder, worked perfectly.

Just a suggestion, if that doesnt work, the only other thing I can offer is that the Throwout bearing isnt/wasnt installed correctly. The clutch system is quite simple, you should be able to troubleshoot is pretty easily once you know where to start.

I ended up replacing my Clutch Master Cylinder, Clutch Slave Cylinder, only to find out it was the damper causing my clutch to prematurely engage(ruined my throwout bearing, so I ended up replacing the whole clutch system even though the Clutch plate was perfect..).

Good luck, hope that helps guide you a wee bit.

• 4 weeks later...