1988 Pathfinder newB with speedo problem...help!

I am in the process of having a local garage sort out a few minor issues on my newly purchased 1988 Pathfinder 5 speed.

The garage called today to let me know the problem with the speedo was not the cable and they suggested they will take the speedo out for me to send it to a shop that repairs speedos.

Can anyone recommend a shop to do this type of repair? Is this a electronic speedo/odo or mechanical?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Edited by andrewcconti

if its a gauge issue, honestly its a simple hand tool swap to change out clusters (hell just a phillips screwdriver if you dont take the cluster apart and just swap a WHOLE cluster). Get a J/Y unit or one off someone here parting out and save some bucks. If it's an issue with the worm gearin the transfer case.. just wait, I got a couple ideas up my sleeve to try to fix said issue.

if its a gauge issue, honestly its a simple hand tool swap to change out clusters (hell just a phillips screwdriver if you dont take the cluster apart and just swap a WHOLE cluster). Get a J/Y unit or one off someone here parting out and save some bucks. If it's an issue with the worm gearin the transfer case.. just wait, I got a couple ideas up my sleeve to try to fix said issue.

I would hate to lose the odo reading by swapping out the whole cluster for a used one. Any chance I can have it fixed by sending it out for repair?

I had a old mercedes and I sent the speedo out for repair. I am just not clear if a 1988 Pathy has a mechanical or electronic speedo/odo and if there is a electronic sensor that just goes on the fritz and can not be repaired.

mechanical on an 88

The mechanic told me it was not the cable...then told me he was going to look into how to remove the cluster. ???? I guess I am confused how he could so confidently say it is not the cable and then say he is going to have to look into how to take out the cluster? Wouldn't he had to have removed the cluster to know if the cable is truly not the problem?

You would think so, but some mechanics x-ray eyes are better calibrated than others.

LOL! Thanks well I printed out how to remove the cluster and I am going to suggest he check both ends of the speedo cable before giving up.

Thanks again

I think thers a place in California called Hollywood Speedometer repairs that can repair them. I'm not sure of what they charge, but I know they have done alot of them for collector car restorations. Try Googling the name and see what comes up.

Edited by krmiller07

If mileage is that important, you CAN take the odometer apart and adjust the numbers to match your current milege... Ive done it to one of my spares to see hoard it was

I stopped by the garage where the Pathfinder is being worked on this morning. I asked the mechanic to remove the instrument cluster and to check the connection on the cluster end of the speedo cable. He thought that might be a good idea too... fingers crossed it's just the cable/connector.

Since both the Odometer and speedo quit at the same time there is definately something either wrong with the cable or where it connects to the speedo. At the end of the speedo cable there is a plastic piece that drives the speedo. It is pretty thin and gets brittle over time. Mine broke on me when I was replacing a speed for a different reason. I fixed mine by supergluing a piece of disposable pen over the out side. just made sure it was snug on the plastic piece and small enough to slide in the speedo. I have read a post about this happening to someone and they replaced that piece with a metal one. I'm not sure wheather they got the piece from Nissan or scrounged a wrecking yard for it. Good luck!

Since both the Odometer and speedo quit at the same time there is definately something either wrong with the cable or where it connects to the speedo. At the end of the speedo cable there is a plastic piece that drives the speedo. It is pretty thin and gets brittle over time. Mine broke on me when I was replacing a speed for a different reason. I fixed mine by supergluing a piece of disposable pen over the out side. just made sure it was snug on the plastic piece and small enough to slide in the speedo. I have read a post about this happening to someone and they replaced that piece with a metal one. I'm not sure wheather they got the piece from Nissan or scrounged a wrecking yard for it. Good luck!

Excellent! I am hoping it is as easy and straight forward a fix as you found with yours.