head replacement on 1987 VG30i

the timing belt broke while driving and bent three exhaust valves on the left side . i had them replaced and had the head checked out , it was ok so i replaced it and the timing belt . when i started it ,it ran good for a few minutes and then it started to miss . i checked everything i could think of that i may or may not have done right . it still has a miss and runs like (excuse my language)@!*% .... can you help?

Do a compression test. What kind of head gasket was used? If it's a Fail-Pro that might be the issue. They're known to blow out on VGs really quickly.

Do a compression test. What kind of head gasket was used? If it's a Fail-Pro that might be the issue. They're known to blow out on VGs really quickly.

i did a compression its good . ive check it again and it still has a miss . could the exhaust cause it to run badly ? i no it makes noise but could it make it miss? also if the distributer is off by 1 tooth could that be it also ? cause when i time it it will miss at 2 or 3 degrees either way .

Exhaust won't make it run bad. Being a tooth of on the distributor will though.

Did you put the distributor in like this - right arrow: (orange dot is alignment dimple)

DSCN0427.jpg

Or like this - left arrow:

DSCN0426.jpg

Edited by Kingman

Pause for a quick :jacked:

Kingman, On a VG30I head, are the intake ports round with the little hump at the top like the VG30E heads? Or do they have just a round port? I'm assuming they have the same head even though the little hump at the top of the port isn't needed for the throttle body injection.

James

Putting the distributor in "wrong" will just prevent you from getting the proper timing. If you can get it to 15BTDC then you should be good. Taking everything apart and putting it back together again could just have revealed a simple problem in your ignition or something. Check all the usual suspects... plugs, wires, rotor, cap, injector (I guess there is one on a TBI?), fuel pressure etc. Also, are you super sure the timing belt is on right? Did you count the teeth on the belt between the marks on the sprockets?

Edited by sewebster

He says he's unable to get the proper timing. "Off by 2-3 degrees."

I've put my distributor in wrong, it ran very similar to what's been said and I couldn't get the base timing set correctly. Took it back out and realigned it, bingo. It takes 5 minutes to pull the dizzy so I think it's worth checking. :shrug:

I thought he was saying it would start missing when he detuned it by 2-3 degrees. Anyway, that sounds a bit unexpected to me. The symptoms he describes sound a little worse than a slight timing problem. But it only makes sense to put the distributor in correctly and time it properly...