AC question

Crispyc

I have a 91 Pathfinder I have never serviced the ac in any way and I don't know if it was eber recharged by the previous owner. It blew cool air last summer, but it is not cool now. Can I buy any can of freon from an automotive store to try recharging? is there anything I should do before trying this?

I dont think you can charge it directly from the can, no.. but All the pathy's i've seen take R134a oil, make sure by looking under your hood, but im almost certain yours will be the same.

You can probably take it to a shop and ask for a quote on recharging it. You can check this site out for more help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Recharge-the-Air-Conditioner-in-a-Car

But it depends if you want to buy the recharging kit or not..

Good luck! I'd have it taken to a shop and see if it's leaking or not..

I'd re-charge it first, a can+ rechage guage should be about $20 or less.

If that doesn't last then you can take it in or you can buy a leakfinder kit your self (about $60-$70) at the auto store. It has a specail dye in it that you locate with a blacklight (in the kit)

Once you have the leak located you can

1) replace the part and recharge the system req 2-3 more bottles and 1 oz comprssor oil depending on what your replaced

2) take it in for repair.

@ $60 an hour or more; the leak kit would be worth while if it takes a shop more than 1 hr to find the leak. Once found you can let them to the rest if you don't feel up to the task.