The famous whining noise path 90 -95

chapter

My manual transmission has develop this stupide whining noise for the seconde time!! Last time, I paid 1000$ CAN to change the bearing inside. Now, 70000km later, the same problem is come back... I saw that this was cause by a design problem on the transmission case causing a lack of lubrification...

So, What are the consequence if I do nothing about that???

Is it possible to solve the problem in changing only the transmssion oil??

Thanks!

changin oil might help.

to fix the problem for good you need to have a few of the wheep holes inside the tranny drilled a bit wider...i couldn't tell you which ones though. tranny shops have that info. it was part of a bulletin from Nissan long ago...

if you do nothing...hmm???... start saving $.

Hey chapter. You need to read this... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Seems appropriate and simple enough. I did it recently, but have not had the truck long enough to vouch for the cure. I'd try it before pulling the tranny and having it drilled though. I'd never heard of that one mzxtreme..

Bernard

when i had my 89's tranny rebuilt that's what they did. i saw the bulletin with my own eyes. besides the built in cooler, the holes also plug up thusly cutting the oil flow... leading to stuff frying out. after that rebuilt and an external cooler i never had any problems at all but then that tk was very problem free. i still miss it...

i'm going to talk to a Nissan tech I know about this and see if I can get my hands on any of that...

Sorry mzxtreme, that doesn't read like I meant. I believe you. I have only had my Pathy 3 months and am no tranny expert. I had just literally 'not heard of it' which is no great suprise. When you mention cooler, are you refering to an auto tranny ? Any info you find is worth sharing.

Bernard

yeh, auto tranny. and i just thought that i better explain because some other "hawk" might question that.

the only problem with 5sp that i am aware of is that one posted. (lo fluid on incline)

and yup, i am going to have to try to pick that guys brain. he knows his nissans and since he works for a dealer he can get his hands on anything.. hopefully he'll be able/willing to share... we shall see...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1988 xe with a 5 speed tranny.It had 88000 miles when I purchased it and being the nut that I am I changed all the fluids gave it a complete tune up etc etc.I wanted to change the manual tranny fluid.my friend told me to leave it be but being thickheaded I changed the gear oil in the tranny.I did not use api gl-4.I really did not know that that is a must.At that time it was my first Pathfinder.Sure enough a couple of weeks later the tranny starts whining in 3rd gear and progressively got worse.Looking back I ALWAYS thought it was because I used the wrong weight gear oil.but after reading these posts maybe not.I ended up replacng the entire transmission and never changed the gear oil again.I have since sold that truck and now own a 95 se 5 speed.It had 94000 miles when I brought it and now has 146000 miles.I am always a nut when it comes to oil changes,tune ups etc but I have not touched the transmission gear oil since I have a bad taste in my mouth.As much as I have wanted to change the oil I HAVE NOT AND IT RUNS FINE.I do check the level and have not had to add any....Any input would be appreciated...THANKS